User

Default Hi Power shoulder stock

Hi, I am looking for a shoulder stock for a Browning Hi Power. If someone knows of the existence of one (Or one that is available, even better) I would appreciate any information.

Alternatively; I someone has an example that I can measure and photograph I would be in your debt forever.

Regards.

User

Default Re: Hi Power shoulder stock

Are you looking for an original or some sort of aftermarket design?

Do you want to use it/fit it to a pistol or do you just want to look at the design?

I seem to recall there was an original one for sale on Classic Arms auction a few years back, but in general the shoulder stocks are rather rare. Although I've seen pictures I can't recall ever seeing one "in the flesh".

I've also never heard of anyone manufacturing a commercial aftermarket design but I'm sure somebody somewhere has tried it.

If you don't come right on the forum, maybe a bit of time spent googling something like "Browning Kapitan shoulder stock" will give some photos or drawings of an original one? I think the original shoulder stock was an FN design so there might be a (Belgian?) patent with basic non-dimensioned drawings somewhere. You can download copies of many patents for free off the 'net but it will take a lot of time & patience to look for them. Search for something like "European Patent Office free downloads" and you should find the correct site & an explanation of how to search for and download patents. If I'm wrong about it being an FN design, it is next most likely to be an American design and the USA patents site is even better than the European one.

User

I don't think it was patented. There were two versions. A "shoulder plank" that had a leather holster attached to the right side and the very "planky" looking stock attached to a groove cut in the backstrap. The plank version is apparently the pre WW2 design. Inglis in Canada made the more common stock that was also a holster like the Mauser Broomhandle stock / holster. (For the Chinese)

And apparently the metal attachment that goes into the groove in the backstrap is identical for the HP and the Broomhandle...

The reason I'm looking for a stock (or as much info as possible to get a copy made) is because I have an as good as mint condition Hi Power with the 500 meter adjustable rear sight and the stock groove... I do not want to modify or sell it but it deserves to be let out of the safe every now and then. And PCC is a division... A division that needs more class and style... And the GP35 has class and style in spades.

User

I know that a long time ago Bruce Wentzel made a few. It's a long shot but you could try contacting him. Hire Arms.

User

Quote Originally Posted by M43 View Post
    And PCC is a division... A division that needs more class and style... And the GP35 has class and style in spades.
    I like the way you think ;-)

User

OK, I understand a bit better now.

Many years ago, when I was about 15 years old, I made up a shoulder stock for my Webley air pistol. I made extended length grips from wood and these slid into a tenon on the shoulder stock. This design wouldn't work in your case and wasn't entirely successful because it made the air pistol shoot very high so pointless going into any more detail there. I still have the pistol & all the bits somewhere.

However, what I would do for the BHP is to use the stock groove as a reverse template for the measurements to make up the male part of the steel fitting (supplemented by photos culled off the 'net) and just eyeball the rest of the stock. I remember looking at some pictures of a Broomhandle in a gun book that I had (probably Hogg's "The World's Great Guns" because that was the book I owned at the time) and sketched the approximate shape on a plank. I used my Gecado 35 as a starting point to measure length of pull (not that I knew the correct term in those days) and just cut the stock to a length that fitted me from the back when I had it all assembled. As long as it doesn't need to be an exact dimensional copy of an original you should be able to eyeball everything except the steel fitting quite easily.

User

Quote Originally Posted by BBCT View Post
    ... you should be able to eyeball everything except the steel fitting quite easily.
    The steel fitting he should be able to measure up from the interface on the pistol... and with some patience, a bench vice and a sharp file it is often surprising what can be made in one's garage.

User

Howzit cuz. As discussed today, here is linky: https://www.cmrfirearms.com/pistols-...n02-p-743.html

And you are welcome to come fit and measure any of the broomies I have here.