Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Rooiribbokram.

User

Default Re: Rooiribbokram.

Quote Originally Posted by oafpatroll View Post
    Is it safe to assume that was for extra wide mouth bass?
    Even a bass of around 3 to 400 grams would attack it.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Methos View Post
    Even a bass of around 3 to 400 grams would attack it.
    Amazing. Marking that down as my thing learned for the day!

Quote Originally Posted by Methos View Post
    TStone

The deer hair is spinned around a hook to create flies - it actually is pretty cool doing it. I used to make mouse imitations for bass that worked a charm!

Have a look here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZiCvL49EbM

Interesting. Thanks.

User

Klipspringer is used in a fly called a DDD made famous by the local grandfather of fly fishing Tom Sutcliffe - http://www.tomsutcliffe.co.za/fly-fi...g-the-ddd.html

Quote Originally Posted by DaavG View Post
    Klipspringer is used in a fly called a DDD made famous by the local grandfather of fly fishing Tom Sutcliffe - http://www.tomsutcliffe.co.za/fly-fi...g-the-ddd.html
    Klipspringer hair is probably a very scarce commodity, I do not know how many klipspringer are hunted in South Africa annually but it is certainly not a lot. Most of those are hunted by trophy hunters, so there can't be a hell of a lot of klipspringer hair available.

User

I agree, they are excellent eating. Managed to take a few this year. Being fit and willing to walk the hills is a definite advantage to harvesting a good specimen. That or have my wife's luck - walk 200m from the vehicle, glass a valley before making the descent and spot an 8" old warrior resting in the grass 180m away.

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

What calibres do you gents prefer for Rooiribokke? It is not measured, just an observation, but the soft meat they have seems to me to be more damaged than for instance Impala. The ones I have hunted were taken with head shots from a 243 or high in the neck with my 30-06. I have seen damage made by light and fast calibres on that tasty meat, and it is bad. Really bad! For body shots ons these smaller antelopes Hunted for table fair I would recommend slow and relatively heavy, or head and neck shots only. Blasting it side on with a 300 WM type rifle will certainly ruin the fillets and backstraps and both shoulders. Then you have little left.

User

I mostly use a .223 with 65gr Sierra Gamekings with an MV of 3000 ft/s. Typical shooting distance has been about 200m in the areas I hunted them and I aim for the top of the heart. I have not had any serious issues with meat damage. For me slow and heavy translates to bullet drop and at an average of 200m on a small target the chances I make an error increase. My wife uses a 6.5x55 with 140gr Accubonds, going at 2650 ft/s, also aiming for the top of the heart. As best I can recall there was very little difference in meat damage between the animals shot with the .223 and the ones shot with the 6.5x55.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3