Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Blood trail with monolithic bullets

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    It’s a circulatory system, keep that in mind when trying to examine the evidence.

I’ve said it before but here goes again, there are organs that bleed out a lot quicker than the lungs, shoot through both lungs and it takes time.
    Destroy the heart and you stop the pump, take a tank of water and shoot a hole in it, it takes a lot of time to drain, but if you have a pressure pump on the tank the water just shoots out, same tank different result.
    You wound an animal it immediately releases endorphins, causing blood vessels to constrict, causing the body to operate on minimum oxygen, aka they run a fair amount of distance, dead on their feet sometimes.

You want a good blood trail regardless of bullet choice, top of the heart, try and figure out why…….
    100% but a drop or 2 every now and again would be nice though. But everything always comes back to shot placement and like you say to examine cause and effect afterwards. I would say 90% of hunters are just to happy to drop their kill off at the slaughter house and move on…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default Re: Blood trail with monolithic bullets

I agree with Messor's reasoning about shot placement. A shot through the top of the heart or the plumbing above the heart is very effective and will leave a good blood trail, provided that there is an exit wound, an entry wound that does not close up or preferably both.

As an aside, many of the modern, high BC hunting bullets, leave a very small entry wound (to the point where it is almost impossible to find unless you skin the animal) and often does not exit. Bullets with a blunt meplat generally cause a larger entry wound which does not close up.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2