Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Barrel replacement - new court decision

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    Why can we not buy a blank barrel and transfer the old number to the new barrel?
    Because some rifles, like Howa, don't even have a serial number on their barrels. Why SAPS and CFR can't see it as a consumable like even Namibia does is beyond me...

User

Quote Originally Posted by pblaauw View Post
    Because some rifles, like Howa, don't even have a serial number on their barrels. Why SAPS and CFR can't see it as a consumable like even Namibia does is beyond me...
    It's not 'can't', its won't.

User

Quote Originally Posted by oafpatroll View Post

Banned

That is one very understandable reason. It has nothing to do with firearms, and everything to do with politics aka a government not trusting the folks who pay their salaries.

Now, just to entertain the thought: why would an honest and righteous government prohibit the changing of barrels? Is there any reason at all? For instance, to prevent someone from committing a murder and then swapping out barrels? In that case we must ban rat poison as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    That is one very understandable reason. It has nothing to do with firearms, and everything to do with politics aka a government not trusting the folks who pay their salaries.

Now, just to entertain the thought: why would an honest and righteous government prohibit the changing of barrels? Is there any reason at all? For instance, to prevent someone from committing a murder and then swapping out barrels? In that case we must ban rat poison as well.
    And Cyanide

Apart from some typical political control & nannyness, the one thing that shocked me on moving to Aus is that most government departments here work on a very streamlined (by comparison to SA) system - one or two page forms, online submissions for just about everything.

No getting to the department of transport (can't remember the name of the department in SA) at AM in the morning to stand in a queue for hours only to be told that you do not have the correct paperwork & need to re-join the queue with said papers only to be told when you reach the counter again, that those papers are incorrect too & you need some additional paperwork because cashier 1,2 & 3 all have different interpretations of what is required.

Not to mention standing in a queue for 1.5 days at the Department of Home Affairs in the 80's to get an ID book & you had to have your legal guardian with you with their ID & a fistful of papers.

Firearm licence renewal here (QLD) is a 2 page online document last time that I did it, with 4 additional 1 page documents such as proof of club membership etc to be scanned & uploaded.

SA government departments have always tried to make life difficult & have always had the 'we won't' attitude.

Great news

User

Reviving this post. I was under the impression that the order still stands, however when I wanted to change barrel now I was told I still had to license the barrel as per older process. Was there an update on this in the interim that has not been published?

User

If someone walks into the police ministers office and says here is an online system that will reduce the number of policemen that are bogged down maintaining the current registry by half, it may not fly well, because it is reducing employment. Our government still thinks that creating government jobs is a good thing. They forget that these jobs cost the tax payer a fortune, and either cause them to leave the country for countries that pay less tax or prevents them from expanding their business because they cannot raise capital. Both of these reduce employment in the private sector which reduces tax income, and results in the government borrowing money to pay the huge wage bill that they have created. This is the down ward spiral that we are in. This is one of the problems the incumbent government will have to deal with.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Againstthegrains View Post
    They forget that these jobs cost the tax payer a fortune
    Many Government types will happily blow a million tax payer rands to get R500 in their own pocket.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast