Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: AAA,LG,SSG,000!!!

Probably closer to 9mm Short rounds. Though as you said the individual pellets are less efficient due to their shape.

Rob Haught, Tom Givens Bill Jeans (all top shotgun instructors) etc have all spoken about the additional effectiveness shotguns can create due to all those pellets hitting you at exactly the same time. Not with the tiny gap between shots a subgun would have.

User

Eish, daai ding is stellik.

Anyway, 8 LG pellets being like a 380 auto is more than a fully loaded Star DKL, which, could be rather unpleasant to recieve.

Great info Men, thanks for the replys so far, I will see what is available at my local places and then off to pattern test at various ranges.

User

Some time ago VLT sold ammo of SAGA brand with the designation '3x7', this had 3 LG pellets in and I think it was 7 AAA pellets with a total load weight of 35 grams.

Also Hi Tech Armory had some shorter 'AAA' ammo which allowed you to fit an extra round your magazine, they were going to try and get them in 'SSG' as well.

User

According to my American books, shotgun ammo is always loaded to 1200 f/sek, chamber pressure permitting. To my experience this was not perfect in different makes, but reasonable close.

As you all know, handgun and rifle ammo is loaded not to exceed the chamber pressure. To put it another way a lighter bullet will have more powder in the casing than a heavy bullet.

Given that the shot start off at a theoretical 1200 f/sek, the heaviest shot will have the best penetration.

Another interesting thing is most modern shotgun ammo uses a plastic cup/wad. On these ammo I found that the spread of the shot only start at 5 to 8m from the muzzle with different makes of ammo.

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

My SD pump action shotgun is normally loaded with AAA for use inside the home. My wifes is loaded with no 5. She gas more confidence with the quicker spreading load. A shot down the isles with no5s will most probably stop an intruder or at least turn him. I hope that if needed (and that I hope never happens) I will be able to centre the shot with AAA. SSG is also good. I dislike LG. They tend to go of course from 30m and in any case loose velocity too quickly lika all shotgun ammo. The stock sock of my gun carries Brenneke slugs. When going outside or a longer distance shot is needed to a bad guy my reasoning is to get cover (SD rule no2. Have a gun rule no 1) and dum 2 shells and load with slugs. If BG is close, blow him with AAA because time is few. If he is far, cover should be effective and provide enough time to reload with slugs. I practice it from time to time. Dump 2 AAA shells, leaving 1 in chamber, gun never unloaded, push in 2 slugs and load slug no 1 = 6-8 seconds. But, practice it, otherwise fumbling may waste you up. Loading 3 AAA back from sling another 6 seconds. Stays important to always have one up the chamber.

User

Very few shotguns are going to be able to keep all pellets on man size target past 30m anyway with anything except Flite control or TAP.

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieOlivier View Post
    Also Hi Tech Armory had some shorter 'AAA' ammo which allowed you to fit an extra round your magazine, they were going to try and get them in 'SSG' as well.
    Those were the 16 gram loads prepared for the Mag7 shotgun pistols. 58/60mm long. In my experience they work very well.

They may still be available from Republic Arms in Jeppe.
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

Great info Men and revelant. thanks allot

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2