User

Default accessory rail for mossberg 500?

Hi there.

I bought a weaver accessory rail for my mossberg 500, milled extra slots in its surface to make it more versatile, and as soon as I can get my hands on the weapon legally I will drill and tap holes to mount it on the reciever...

I intend to mount a tasco red dot on it, and only after this moderately significant effort did i notice that the rail is rather high. Its around 1.5cm high, the scope probably adds another 2 or three cm to sight axis...

My question is this, will it be too high to sight in accurately? Should I bench the rail and buy a lower profile one or do you think it will be ok?

Thanks in advance.

Luke

Default Re: accessory rail for mossberg 500?

I certainly would, but then again, I would be very leery of putting a RDS on a rail on an alloy receiver at all given the very short screws, soft receiver metal and the recoil of a 12ga shotgun. Many have had issues with this combo, even on factory mounted rails.

But if I was determined to do this woth a Mossberg, I would probably get a Mesa rail and have it mounted by a pro...they build good stuff but I do not know if they ship to SA.

http://tacticalshotgunner.com/mesa-t...uns-p-151.html
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

User

Thanks, I will abandon the red dot dream for this shotty, perhaps better served on a remi 870, they have steel recievers I believe?

Quote Originally Posted by luke peter View Post
    Thanks, I will abandon the red dot dream for this shotty, perhaps better served on a remi 870, they have steel recievers I believe?
    They do but screws are still tiny and very short. I know people do all sorts of things but as much as I prefer a high quality RDS on a carbine, I cannot for the life of me see one on a shotgun. For what exactly? Games? HD? Police work? CDI factor?
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

User

I had planned to use it for pig hunts... something a little faster and more reflexife than a scope, but still good for decent range slug shots...

But will abandon it :)

User

I would put the red dot sight on the barrel above the chamber. Let a gunsmith make you a custom mount. Screws that bottom in the holes does not weaken the barrel.

That is also the perfect place for a optical sight. It is much faster to pick a target up with the sight in that position than when mounted close to the eye. Pig hunting at night with dogs calls for fast shooting.