User

Default Venision Recipes

Let's share some venison recipes and ideas.

I found this on the SAHGCA website. Can't wait to try it

A filet of note
    A filet is the most ordinary piece of meat in any animal’s carcass. Its popularity is mostly due to its soft texture. A T bone is the juiciest by a long shot. To freeze a fillet, is to waste it. It must be eaten fresh.
    So,when on the hunt, use the filet of the shot animal right there on the hunting farm and as soon as possible after the event. Keep in miknd that meat can last at least 21 days if it has been properly hung. But upon preparing it,you have to flavour the filet to really do it justice. Forget this recipe at your peril. Any filet is useful, and then some!

The filet oats shcnitzel

Mix 3 cups of oats with 1,5 cups cake flour. Add quarter of a cup of salt and a whole cup of thyme. Should you use fresh thyme, make it 1,5 cups. Mix 4 eggs in a flat dish. Put a pan on the fire and add sun flower oil to cover the entire bottom. Cut the filet in portions not too too thick. Flatten it slightly with a meat hammer. Should you use small game such as springbok, cut the filet in three and work with the length of the filet.
    Dip the fillet in the egg, roll it well in the oats mixture and remember, it should be a mere flash in the pan - no more than three minutes per side. The hotter the fire, the thinner the filets should be cut. Serve with onion caramelised in butter.

Banned

Default Re: Venision Recipes

Cool thread!

Springbok Carpaccio recipe (developed in the fine year of 2006)

Take the springbok "rugstring", remove the sinews.
    Season liberally with coarsely crushed black pepper, crushed coriander and coarse salt.
    Cover and place in fridge overnight.
    Hang in a cool well vented place (like a bilton drier) for a day or two (letting it form a bit of a "skin").
    Slice very, very thinly. Put into freezer for two hours to firm it up a bit, if you find it difficult to get yours slices thin.
    Arrange on a bed of assorted greens.
    Douse with olive oil, lemon juice/balsamic vinegar, a bit more pepper and parmesan shavings.
    Eat and enjoy!

An EXCELLENT recipe book for venison is "Karoo Venison".

Quote Originally Posted by dhignett
    Cool thread!

Springbok Carpaccio recipe (developed in the fine year of 2006)

Take the springbok "rugstring", remove the sinews.
    Season liberally with coarsely crushed black pepper, crushed coriander and coarse salt.
    Cover and place in fridge overnight.
    Hang in a cool well vented place (like a bilton drier) for a day or two (letting it form a bit of a "skin").
    Slice very, very thinly. Put into freezer for two hours to firm it up a bit, if you find it difficult to get yours slices thin.
    Arrange on a bed of assorted greens.
    Douse with olive oil, lemon juice/balsamic vinegar, a bit more pepper and parmesan shavings.
    Eat and enjoy!

An EXCELLENT recipe book for venison is "Karoo Venison".

aah bloody hell now I am hungry thanks for this Higgie
    I am studying an awesome brand of leg fighting which was inspired by dung beetles and I think my brand of Kraft Manure is superior to all other styles ever invented. Furthermore I challenge all other manurists to a rolling contest where we shall establish whose manure ball is the biggest! I shall call it Honest Kraft Manure and declare it superior to all other brands of manure and will tell you that I have claimed the lineage directly to Imshi the great Dragon Kru Master Beetler who invented manuring, by gathering all manure from different animals together and making it work as the worlds most effective fertilizer. I proved myself by being members of not one but three super elite special gardening departments who were responsible for spreading manure to combat weed infestations!

User

I think I will have to go and organise a Springbok hunt next weekend.

Interestingly enough I was looking for a Carpacio recipe - Can't wait to try it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Skurk777
    Interestingly enough I was looking for a Carpacio recipe - Can't wait to try it.
    I knew you were. That's why I sent it... I have SSP! ;D

User

Venison Potjie

Venison potjie is a must on any hunting trip. Make sure you bring all the ingredients for this delectable dish

2 kg of any game. All are excellent, although the smaller game is tastier. Cut into small cubes. Add some shank or knuckles for the extra gelatin.
    5 tablespoons cake flour
    1 tablespoon salt
    Freshly ground black pepper (to your taste)
    A pinch of graded nut
    A packet of brown union soup mixed in 400 ml water
    Half a cup of red wine vinegar
    1 cup dry red wine
    4 potatoes, cut into small cubes
    5 carrots, sliced
    4 onions, sliced
    1 butternut squash, sliced
    4 peeled tomatoes, coarsely chopped
    2 cups beef stock

Braai meat in a heated "potjie" until brown. Add cake-flour, soup and flavouring substances, except the wine and vinegar. Put the lid on and simmer for 2 to 3 hours. Add the vinegar and put the vegetables in layers on top of the meat. Put the lid on and simmer another half an hour. Make a small funnel between the vegetables and pour the wine so that a reaches the meat. Simmer for a further 20 minutes.