User

Default New Compound Bow - What to get?

This is less a bow hunting post and more a "I need to know what questions to ask the sales guy so as to not look like a complete idiot" post.

My wife decided she wants to try her hand at this bow and arrow nonsense , and she has her eye on a compound bow she saw at Safari and Outdoor the other day.

Is there anything in particular I need to look out for when we buy her a bow? Is there a specific bow/brand you can recommend for a beginner? I am looking for soemthing that won't break the bank, because she will likely give it up in a couple of months, but good enough just in case she actually stricks with it for a while.

In the color of blue is preferred ;-)

User

Default Re: New Compound Bow - What to get?

Ok bow's are much more complicated then FA's (in my case) you will first need to get a bow your wife can draw and the draw length would be fine as well, luckily with the latest bows all parts can be replaced or adjusted, so that should not be a big problem. But then come the extras bow sight,stabilizers, releases etc. I would say look for complete kits that offer everything required to be able to hunt/shoot the bow immediately. I would say price wise and good quality look for at mathews bows. They are very good bows, good for beginners and would not break the bank anything from R5000 for a complete kit new. Or you can look secondhand but I would not recommend this as you don't always know or are able to see that if a bow has been dry fired witch would crack and break the limbs(frame). my bets would be is to take her to a bow shop and let them check an do all the measurements and get a bow that would fit her perfectly. The thing with a bow is, its set up exactly for you and it can't easily be shot without adjustment by anyone else. So this bow would be her bow and not your bow. The color would be depending on a hunting bow or target bow, big difference between the two as well.

User

I would also suggest buying the bow hunter magazine and read it, very informative for a new bow owner.

User

Haha! I was actually making a joke about the color, and here you get all serious about it. Shows how little I know.

I was wonderign about the kits, and how good/worth while the really are. I am always apprehensive about buying that's "ready out of the box". It always feels substandard to buying individual parts.

In any case, I was thinking the same, i.e. taking her and having her measured, etc. for the right thing, i just wnated osme more info for myself.

Thanks for the feedback, I'll check out those Mathews bows and gear.

User

Kits IMHO are perfect on bows, its not the best but its great for beginners and you don't really need to upgrade at all, ever.

User

Cool, thanks again.

User

Cerop just make sure it is made if wood.

User

Cool, thanks. I was going to give you a call in the week to have a chat to you anyways about this.

User

Cerop go to Magnum Archery in Donkerhoek, the stock most brands and will make sure your wife shoots / test a few begore making a choice.

Also dont get bullied into a brand, let her choose what fits her best.