Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: Colt Python cylinder play

My mod 66 is the same, cylinder tight as you pull the trigger.
    Jay, pull the trigger, & drop the hammer. Keep the trigger pulled back and check play on cylinder.

No...pull the trigger ALL the way back...as in dryfire it...and hold it all the way back. The cylinder IS locked tight before point of ignition but only after the hammer starts to fall.
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

hey THOMAST and ikor

GUYS I PULLED THE TRIGGER AND FELT THE CYLINDER AND GUESS WHAT???? NO PLAY....... WHATSOEVER..... NON..... ZILCH...NADA....YAY!

now i feel much better about it, not that it bothered me really, it was just not what i read about, now it does lock up like a bank vault....watch out springs and bles, here comes a tight@ss revolver.....also the forggies happy0065

Imagine that! hpy180
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

now a word of warning - dont use excessive force even by hand to test how tight it is , you will wear out the chamber catch and pawl/hand that is made of soft metal then you screw up the timming
    live out your imagination , not your history.

KK20

got the tip, infact after starting the thread, i had a closer look at the chamber catch at the bottom of the frame, and it is abit rounded on the one side (the side that engages the slot on the cylinder) is this something that the gunsmith can machine out or is there a replacement for it.

what propellent do you use in yours? my 4 inch leaves unburnt powder if i use S265 15gr -15.5gr for 158gr SWC. i tried MP 200 once, somewhere close to the start load and experienced sticky extraction and severely flattened primer, stopped it since. Does your 6 inch have this problem?

Do not let just anyone work on your Python...very few gunsmiths can correctly deal with the Colt actions...they are NOT like the S&Ws at all! Your description is unclear but if the gun locks up as tight as you say, leave it alone...they are some of the strongest revolver actions ever built. I cannot speak to reloads with SA powders, but you should be looking at around 1200-1250FPS with a 158gr jacketed bullet max...KK's 6in will do a little better.

Colt is no longer building the Python and we will never see the like of these hand assembled revolvers again at affordable prices, so if in doubt, cut down on the powder charge I say...better to keep your masterpiece of craftsmanship intact than mess it up trying to squeeze an extra 100FPS out of it.
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

Off topic, but I think its worth mentioning on this thread.

I know a good doctor (an actual surgeon) who has a Python. His hobby is making stuff himself. He has replaced every single bush in his python with needle roller bearings which he made himself. Don't quote me, but last time I checked he took the trigger pull down from 12lb to something ridiculous, 4 pounds I believe.

He also installed some sort of a lock up mechanism, making the hammer stick right before firing. This allows you to pull the trigger and have a single action feel right before firing. He also changed the ejection mechanism completely, making it lob the cases yards far. No more stuck cases!!

He built a couple of speed loaders with a push/pull mechanism that allows him to do a reload as fast as I can reload my pistols, and Im not the slowest out there. He is very good at modifying his guns...

Currently, he is busy rebuilding his 1911 mags, making the 8shot mags 100% reliable. He was kind enough to let me use his lathe and mill on friday, so we got to chat a lot about gunsmithing etc.

PS. Im buying a mill...

I have a buddy...Walt Sherman...who patented a roller bearing sear for the Colts...took triggers as low as 4lb for target ammo too. The talent out there is incredible and I salute your friend and hope he keeps his work up!
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2