User

Default Interesting article on damage done by criminals to SA telecoms infrastructure

Default Re: Interesting article on damage done by criminals to SA telecoms infrastructure

Tell me, if you want to put an end to a particular drug industry, do you go after the users or the dealers?

It is not the thieves that are the primary problem here but rather the scrap metal dealers. I have said it before and I have said it again: it is time to put an end to the scrap metal industry in South Africa once and for all for the simple reason that the economic cost to the country of having a scrap metal industry far outweighs any possible benefits.

User

Default Re: Interesting article on damage done by criminals to SA telecoms infrastructure

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderin' Zero View Post
    Tell me, if you want to put an end to a particular drug industry, do you go after the users or the dealers?

It is not the thieves that are the primary problem here but rather the scrap metal dealers. I have said it before and I have said it again: it is time to put an end to the scrap metal industry in South Africa once and for all for the simple reason that the economic cost to the country of having a scrap metal industry far outweighs any possible benefits.
    My concern is, will it not simply continue as a black market anyway? It would help if crime intelligence gets on this and books the whole lot, dealers included.

User

Putting an end to an entire industry because some of them acts criminally is very much the same as banning all guns because some criminals use them.
    [b]Be ready for anything, and if his head is not at least two meters away from the body, do not 'assume' he is dead and out of the fight.[/b] [I]- Ikor[/I]

User

Quote Originally Posted by JS4 View Post
    Putting an end to an entire industry because some of them acts criminally is very much the same as banning all guns because some criminals use them.
    +1
    The scrap industry is massive and closing them all down will lead to a rise in unemployment.
    The thing is the dealer is supposed to ask their client where they got the non ferrous metals from if they don't go through a company but alas they don't.

User

They are damaging SA Railway infrastructure too.

South Africa: Metal thieves 'steal 10km of railway
    http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-news-f...where-28311240

User

Quote Originally Posted by avislog View Post
    They are damaging SA Railway infrastructure too.

South Africa: Metal thieves 'steal 10km of railway
    http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-news-f...where-28311240
    How the hell can't the dealer see this and more important how the hell did they transport it?