Default Improved Cylinder (IC) chokes for hunting gamebirds

Hi Guys,

I have just bought a very beautiful Miroku 3800 O/U 12g with 28" barrels. She has fixed chokes both set at IC. I am worried that I will battle to shoot geese and far flying game birds due to the choke type. Do any of you wing shooting nuts have advice on measures one can take to improve success? I've been told by some to choose heavier shot (34/36gram) to increase shot density and by others, lighter shot (28gram) as the lower velocity with lighter shot will keep a denser pattern. By other I've been told there is only one way and that's to get out there and shoot. Any advice will be appreciated...

User

Default Re: Improved Cylinder (IC) chokes for hunting gamebirds

I do a lot of game bird shooting and love using my MX8 (some pics below) with fixed skeet chokes. You will shoot gypos and spurwing just fine. But, very important is that the gun fits you. Did you pattern it? If not, get to pattern it so that you know it shoots where you are looking. Also, don't try and shoot too far so keep within your comfort zone.
    Also, just go and have fun without over thinking things.

User

I shoot IC in my first barrel and Modified in my second only because I don't have 2 x IC chokes. Keep your shots within your capability and enjoy!
    As mentioned above, pattern your gun with different ammo to decide on what you'll use for wingshooting.

User

Quote Originally Posted by AmosSuperGent View Post
    Do any of you wing shooting nuts have advice on measures one can take to improve success?
    Practice, practice and practice
    You're going to miss way more birds due to proper misses than because of some perceived shortcoming with your gun and chokes. IMHO the small differences between chokes are way over-emphasised, particularly for game shooting, as opposed to competitive clay shooting. Clays are smaller targets than all our gamebirds and missing 1 clay out of 100 can be the difference between between winning and 2nd, so any edge is important. But this competitive aspect does not apply to wing-shooting. The only downside on missing a bird is that you're R4 poorer.

Maybe be more selective with your long range shots if that's a concern. A lot of (wing)shooting is about confidence, so forget about the chokes and get comfortable and confident with your new gun. Test a few different loads/brands on a pattern plate if you're really curious and want to make a scientific selection - I think this is a double-edged sword because Murphy's African cousin will guarantee that your preferred cartridge will become unavailable just as your stock runs out...

I am definitely with WCC, Bowhunter and DesperateZulu - I have a Miroku 6800 that is my primary do-anything gun. I shoot it with cylinder and improved cylinder chokes, or skeet and cylinder chokes, especially after going shooting with an old timer who shoots a Harris Holland (i.e. pre H&H) with cylinder and cylinder, and shoots everything with 24g loads. He quotes old, wise words to the effect: "chokes tighten your pattern and lighten your bag".

I would not stress about chokes if I were you, but rather get good at centering your pattern on the bird.

Thank you all so much for the great advice- it's appreciated! I look forward to getting out into the field and putting this advice to practice.

All the best