Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17

Thread: The ANTI thread

User

Default Re: The ANTI thread

Quote Originally Posted by apocza View Post
    It's funny but there is some truth to this. I didn't ever think I would trust myself with an FA, major part of my argument against guns when I was anti. It's far to easy to think oh I don't feel comfortable with guns therefore no one else is. So I challenged myself, I said I would do the competency, shoot as much as I could and then decide if I could be comfortable with an FA. It's really not difficult to practice proper gun safety and as a result not difficult to be comfortable with an FA. Here I am a year later, now not wearing my pistol feels uncomfortable - I don't even take the trash out without being strapped.
    Strangely when I was younger say up to the age of 24/25. I would not have trusted myself to own a firearm either, far too hot headed, egotistical, and I drank way too much. I believe I wouldn't have had the responsibility to carry a firearm. That's not to say I haven't been around them most of my life. Just that I wouldn't have trusted myself. I now EDC everywhere and am calm
    as a cucumber in most instances it really takes a lot to get me riled up. The only reason I started considering a SD firearm was when I moved out, and the push was being accosted in the JHB CBD while getting out my car to see a client, I fought back and really hammered the guy, but as has been mentioned before they're not scared and adrenaline / drugs. He didn't feel a thing just ran off with my phone.

It it made me realize if he had a knife, gun or any other weapon I would have come off second best. Funnily while searching for a suitable SD firearm I discovered sport shooting and well the rest is history.

Quote Originally Posted by lithium View Post
    Introducing people to this lifestyle that we live is an important part of my life.
    You make it sound like you go around to people's houses with pamphlets, knock on their doors and say "I have come to share the words of Glock with you"

User

John Reid - something like that! Proselytism for Mr Smith and Mr Wesson...

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Quote Originally Posted by Tweedledee View Post
    I'm sure some of you would have noticed that the 'National Hijack Prevention Academy' has been getting a lot of media coverage lately with their 'how not be hijacked' article. I asked them what their view on firearms in a self defence context are. This is the reply I received.

" Thank you for your enquiry.

Our hijacking expert would respond to say that in our every day life with racing back and forth, having a fire-arm counts against you 70% of the time and may be to your benefit 30% of the time.* You cannot drive with the firearm in your hand, so it is normally hidden in the vehicle leaving you no time to use it when an attack occurs.

A firearm is definitely beneficial - being well trained to use it - if you travel quiet roads often or at night."

Its not a no but it definitely isn't a yes.
    Yeah... they're a bunch of muppets! Their name tries to make them sound quasi-official, but they aren't.
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

User

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    Yeah... they're a bunch of muppets! Their name tries to make them sound quasi-official, but they aren't.
    Agreed, so a firearm is either in your hand or 'hidden in the vehicle' - have they heard of EDC?

What scares me is that people accept their word as gospel.

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Quote Originally Posted by Tweedledee View Post
    Agreed, so a firearm is either in your hand or 'hidden in the vehicle' - have they heard of EDC?

What scares me is that people accept their word as gospel.
    It's a consequence of their cunning (almost to the point of being misleading) company name.
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

User

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    It's a consequence of their cunning (almost to the point of being misleading) company name.
    Maybe we can start the 'Protection from the National Hijack Prevention Academy' Academy..

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17