Page 4 of 69 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 54 ... LastLast

Hi All,

Below is what I went with (applying for .22 rifle license)
    I live in a small town with many farms in the vicinity so I was fortunate to have two friends who farm each give me a letter giving me permission to hunt/shoot on their farms.

I've still to buy my handgun (and then submit my application), so if anyone can post/mail me a self defence motivation for a 9mm, it would be much appreciated

Letters below:
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Motivation for rifle

I wish to obtain a licence for this rifle as it was left to me by my grandfather and has much sentimental value to me.

This is the first gun that I learnt to use. My grandfather started teaching me gun safety and how to use a gun when I was six years old.

I very much enjoy target shooting at the shooting range. My wife also enjoys using the rifle due to its low calibre. I hope to teach my children with this gun too.

In addition to target shooting, I will also be helping friends who are farming to clear vermin from their farms.

Their contact details are listed 'below'

Letter from friends with farms:

To whom it may concern:

This letter hereby confirms that Gorilla, who lives nearby in the town of ****, is a good friend of the **** **** Nature Reserve. The reserve & farms are 2500 hectares in size and are situated high in the ******* mountains (www. url.co.za).

In addition to being a nature reserve, we are also wine & fruit farmers (www. url.co.za) who are struggling with invasive animal species such as European Starlings and Indian House Crows destroying our fruit crops and marauding our lambs. It is often required that we control the invasive animals and try reduce the damage they cause to our livelihood.

Gorilla's assistance will be greatly appreciated if he could help us control these pest species with his .22 rifle. Furthermore, we have ample space in a safe environment for him and his wife to practice their shooting skills with their family rifle.

I trust that this is in order.

Sincerely,

User

Try Ranyati Firearm motivations (advertise in SA Hunters) in PTA. Did my rifle motivation through them. Motivation was 58 single sided typed A4 pages neatly binded. Even the SAPS eyes lit up

Quote Originally Posted by Klein Chris View Post
    Motivation was 58 single sided typed A4 pages...
    Wow!!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by gorilla View Post
    Wow!!
    mine was a measly 19 pages

Applied today (26th April 2010)

1 page for my last 3 or four, all which were approved.
    "Guns are just tools, the way they're used reflects the society they're apart of, if you don't like guns, blame it on society" ~Chris Kyle

User

Quote Originally Posted by FrankH View Post
    1 page for my last 3 or four, all which were approved.
    Fek you Frank strong letter follows.

I kid I kid good going.

User

Quick question, especially to those who have already been approved:

How much did you "personalize" your application/motivation, or did you keep it as formal as possible? I'm not saying share your life's story with the CFR, but perhaps give them a little bigger glimpse of who you are and what you are about?

e.g. Instead of saying "I am married" say it like "I've been married to my lovely wife, X, since Y, and we've never been happier" or stuff like that...

Your thoughts?

Also, I have heard that it is better to do your application in Afrikaans, if you can, since it might speed up the process? This I think is a bit "thin", but again...your thoughts?

User

Having heard what most people have to go through in terms of motivation and appeals really makes me wonder how my license got approved.

All I submitted to the CFR was 1.5 typed pages motivation, a membership to my local shooting range, SITA competency and a few "character letters" from friends and colleagues.

The motivation was really just a paragraph or two on each of the following keypoints:

1. I am worried about crime
    2. I travel a lot in various parts of JHB crossing areas with bad crime stats (at the time Bramley was listed with highest hijacking rate in the country, but I did not submit any proof or newspaper articles)
    3. Stated that I wish to have more immediate means to protect my family than just 10111
    4. I have been around firearms since the age of 11 and shoot regularly, believing to be a responsible gun-handler (no proof of this either other than my attached gun range membership)
    5. As a police reservist I was traveling to and from the police station unarmed 2 to 3 times a week (whether this had any weight - I don't know. Three other fellow reservists have had their applications rejected)
    5. Elaborated on my choice of pistol (reliable, established and suitable day-to-day carry pistol - H&K USPc, common caliber 9mm, likely to last a lifetime etc.)

In the end, the more you submit (with evidence) the less room the CFR has to refuse you. Having luck on your side (like I believe I did) does help though...

User

I am actually motivating a Section 15, so it should even be easier than that, but still...better safe than sorry ;-)

User

Quote Originally Posted by cerop View Post

Also, I have heard that it is better to do your application in Afrikaans, if you can, since it might speed up the process? This I think is a bit "thin", but again...your thoughts?
    You stand a better chance to get refused. I was informed that my appeal will do better if I do it in English. On appeal in English I got all my guns though.

CC

Page 4 of 69 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 54 ... LastLast