Thread: .22 stuff

User

Default .22 stuff

Playing around in the workshop this weekend making some goodies for my 10/22 :)

:)

User

Default Re: .22 stuff

Very nice. I'm intrigued by the suppressor. I'm curious to know how that design would compare to the multiple washer/baffle type. Looks leally cool

User

Quote Originally Posted by sa-shooter View Post
    Very nice. I'm intrigued by the suppressor. I'm curious to know how that design would compare to the multiple washer/baffle type. Looks leally cool
    I quite like the monocore silencer design from an engineering point of view - The thread & through hole are all bored in the same setup, so in theory you have a very concentric setup, as well as the fact that it is all rigid, minimizing the risk of a baffle strike. My design is essentially 5 chambers, 1 small one between the barrel and first baffle to minimize first round pop, and then the 4 sets of offset cross holes that should provide quite a bit of flow disruption. Probably not the most efficient, but hopefully effective enough while still being light & compact, and relatively easy to machine and easy to strip and clean.

The baffle type silencers can be really effective, especially the K baffle types, but are a lot more difficult to machine on a non cnc setup. The can for my AR 15 will probably be a baffle type, so that I can combine the durability and strength of steel in the first chamber or two with lightweight aluminium for the last couple of baffles.

User

The muzzle break started life as a silencer, but got interrupted by another urgent project - it was easier to start fresh than to set up and index the existing one. Besides, I need something to tame the mindblowing recoil of this beast for those quick followup shots...

User

Very nice work Grim.
    Setup of one piece of metal for machining seems to take forever!

My workshop has also been pressed into service for a few silencers recently. One 308, one 223, and a couple of 22LR's.
    The 308 is nearly complete. The rest are at the stage of 'metal cut to size' so far. One of the largest jobs is the dies to form
    the baffles (M type) in aluminium. The first one really should be a bit tougher for the centrefires, but I don't know yet how much force is required from a press to draw stainless into a cup.
    For those not in engineering: Aluminium is the metal of choice not only because of light weight and machineability. Specific heat capacity of Al it higher than many other metals, and it is a good thermal conductor. These two make a large difference in the cooling of the muzzle gases. This cooling is a requirement for effective silencing.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Grim View Post
    I quite like the monocore silencer design from an engineering point of view - The thread & through hole are all bored in the same setup, so in theory you have a very concentric setup, as well as the fact that it is all rigid, minimizing the risk of a baffle strike. My design is essentially 5 chambers, 1 small one between the barrel and first baffle to minimize first round pop, and then the 4 sets of offset cross holes that should provide quite a bit of flow disruption. Probably not the most efficient, but hopefully effective enough while still being light & compact, and relatively easy to machine and easy to strip and clean.

The baffle type silencers can be really effective, especially the K baffle types, but are a lot more difficult to machine on a non cnc setup. The can for my AR 15 will probably be a baffle type, so that I can combine the durability and strength of steel in the first chamber or two with lightweight aluminium for the last couple of baffles.
    Very cool. I am playing with the idea of getting a new suppressor for my .22LR (when the licence finally comes through). If you ever decide to give it another go I may be keen to take if off your hands if i can afford your time