Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Carrying black powder revolver

Advantage in using BP in a SD role is:

1.Fire a couple of shots
    2.Use the smokescreen to make good your escape.
    confused0083
    Recent studies show that 1 out of every 3 liberals are just as dumb as the other 2

Quote Originally Posted by camouflage762
    Advantage in using BP in a SD role is:

1.Fire a couple of shots
    2.Use the smokescreen to make good your escape.
    confused0083
    If you miss there is still a chance you can set your attacker on fire.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

Quote Originally Posted by Corné
    These were hidden / concealed in areas where is was contained within a storage space and all you had to do is to smash the thin piece of plywood to get access to it. Now in South Africa that would not be a ideal situation as by law your firearms need to be locked in a safe but think about it if you had a few BP revolvers neatly stored in inconspicuous panels all through out your house and if all else fails, you could simply put your fist through a piece of plywood and have access to a workable (keeping in mind the limitations of the design) firearm.
    According to the NFA 2000, BP revolvers aren't classified as firearms, so they would not be subject to the requirement to keep them in a safe. I'm getting conflicting reports on whether or not the act has actually been amended yet to change this.

As to whether or not you could use one for self-defence, I don't see any reason why you wouldn't be allowed to use it unless it's literally an illegal/banned item, if under attack and there was no other way to defend yourself. If you can legally own it, you can legally use it for valid self-defence ... self-defence isn't a right granted to you specifically under the NFA and with a limited set of weapons only, i.e. it doesn't define what you *can* use for self-defence, it iterates a few things you *can't* use. You can even use your car as a weapon to mow someone down if that was the only way to defend your life in an attack. Firearms have to be licensed for self-defence purposes, but that is not the same as saying you can only use licensed firearms for self-defence.

User

To use a bp revolver or for that matter, any bp firearm for self defense in preference to a modern nitro firearm is placing yourself at a distinct disadvantage to an attacker armed with a modern firearm. To use a bp firearm when this is all you have; is much better than nothing. Threats to life and limb may be far more immediate than the time it takes to obtain a licensed firearm and in those circumstances; a bp arm is better than nothing. I would however, think carefully about using a bp revolver; due to the limitations of the gun (mechanism) already mentioned. My first choice would be a sawn off bp shotgun, loaded with no. 5 shot. Excellent for home defense, devastating at short range and the shotgun has an intimidation factor few guns can equal. And as Mic states; the use of real bp in these guns will not rust your gun to bits in minutes. My favorite is a 16'' barreled, 16ga double percussion shotgun, loaded with an ounce of bp and an ounce of shot. Devastating ...

User

Gunsports, You have committed a cardinal sin on a forum such as this. You say an ounce of BP but fail to clarify that this is by volume and in relation and equivalent to an ounce of shot. Many if not most members of Gunsite are not familiar with BP and how we BP shooters do our measuring. Next thing we know we could have a couple of nubes taking your advice and loading 28 grams of BP by weight into a shottie.

Sean.
    Pain is just weakness leaving the body.

User

Hi there guys, where can I buy a Blackpowder Uberti in the Western Cape, cannot seem to find any here. I will also not mind finding a good second hand model

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3