Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Question Fitting a free float M-Lok or quad rail to a Smith & Wesson M&P 15 Sport 2 with a FSB

Good day. I am considering buying an AR-15 type rifle for DMG. I was considering the above mentioned rifle but would like to install a free float rail at some stage. How difficult and costly will this typically be and could one keep the fixed front sight? Also, would the fixed front sight interfere with a RDS? The reason I am asking is that I can get a Sig Sauer M400 elite (without the RDS) with a free float M-Lok handrail for about R25k, and although initially outside of my budget I might reconsider it should the hassle of fitting a free float be too much. I have not owned any semi-automatic rifles before so my experience is quite limited.

User

Default Re: Fitting a free float M-Lok or quad rail to a Smith & Wesson M&P 15 Sport 2 with a

It is a simple thing to fit the new gas block (you cant typically keep your a2 front sight) and the hand-guard yourself if you have a modicum of mechanical aptitude. Locally you should be able to get a low profile gas block and rail for less then R2k.

User

Default Re: Fitting a free float M-Lok or quad rail to a Smith & Wesson M&P 15 Sport 2 with a

Price ranges:

Rail = R1.5k to R5k

Gas block = R500 to R900

Gun smithing about R1000 (not clear on this as I do everything in house)

Its a pretty painless process but I have found some A2 posts to be a bitch to remove (Norincos come to mind)

User

I have seen a A2 post being cut off with a hack saw, because it was in the way of the scope.

User

Having been though this process with my Sport 1. A couple things to know:

S&W Roll Pins in the FSB knock out in the opposite direction to what is generally standard in AR15's (I can't remember the exact direction, but google will tell you, as well as how many people have knocked roll pins the wrong way).

Those roll pins are also in there very very tightly, Paul Oxley & Myself tried everything to get the FSB off, eventually we decided to just cut the Front Sight Post & Bayonet Lug off to clear the Free Float Rail.

The gun is 3 years old, and has about 12k rounds through it, and there is no issue. Some might even say it's the better way to do it as the Gas Block remains pinned in place, which many Low Profile Gas Blocks don't cater too.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Stevin View Post

Those roll pins are also in there very very tightly, Paul Oxley & Myself tried everything to get the FSB off, eventually we decided to just cut the Front Sight Post & Bayonet Lug off to clear the Free Float Rail.
    It sounds like Paul is a master, was it not him that fix a gun with a grinder at a Idpa match? Did you guys use a grinde or a hacksaw? LoL.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Vaal View Post
    It sounds like Paul is a master, was it not him that fix a gun with a grinder at a Idpa match? Did you guys use a grinde or a hacksaw? LoL.
    Lol, yeah it was but it seems he has gained a little finesse since then... a Dremel was used

User

Default Re: Fitting a free float M-Lok or quad rail to a Smith & Wesson M&P 15 Sport 2 with a FSB

Hi guys

I would like to get myself a S&W MP15 Sport II. I would like to fit a free float rail so that I can install a light and foregrip. I am also keen to use the Vortex SPARC 2 red dot scope for optics.

My primary question is this: I definitely would like to keep the A2 front sight, so would like to install a short rail (say 7 inches?), but am pretty set on free float vs drop in.

Any ideas on what rail would work please? Maybe something like this I saw on DSG website: http://www.davesheer.com/swt-abr-adv...-rail-carbine/

I would need to take to a gunsmith to install, as wouldn't try and do this myself but would like to know if this is possible?

Thanks

B20

User

Quote Originally Posted by b20 View Post
    Hi guys

I would like to get myself a S&W MP15 Sport II. I would like to fit a free float rail so that I can install a light and foregrip. I am also keen to use the Vortex SPARC 2 red dot scope for optics.

My primary question is this: I definitely would like to keep the A2 front sight, so would like to install a short rail (say 7 inches?), but am pretty set on free float vs drop in.

Any ideas on what rail would work please? Maybe something like this I saw on DSG website: http://www.davesheer.com/swt-abr-adv...-rail-carbine/

I would need to take to a gunsmith to install, as wouldn't try and do this myself but would like to know if this is possible?

Thanks

B20
    Sounds like a lot of work for not much gain. Yes, you can get free float 7" free float rails like Aero precision. But your Smith would have to pull the FSB off then re-install it. Why not run a full length rail and aid irons to it?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    Sounds like a lot of work for not much gain. Yes, you can get free float 7" free float rails like Aero precision. But your Smith would have to pull the FSB off then re-install it. Why not run a full length rail and aid irons to it?
    Thanks CH

Do you think that a two piece free float rail might be something worth thinking about?

I know it might sound silly, but personally I really like the A2 FSB and really want to keep it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast