Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Post FRONTIER 55GN CMJ FLAT POINT 223

Good morning

Just starting out with reloading for my ar. It is an ADC M5 with 16" barrel and 1:9 twist. So far I have had great results with reloading and shooting sharp point cmj 55gn. My rifle cycles well with a 23.5gn load of S321and col of 56.2mm. I have now acquired Frontier cmj 55gn flat points and would like to hear if there is anyone with experience loading 55gn cmj flat points. What col works for you? Does the load differ? Do you crimp or not? Any problems with cycling etc and any tips to overcome issues, please. I have no need yet for factor and measuring speed.

These Frontier points are well priced. I purely want to use them for plinking on the range and if my rifle cycles them, I'm happy.

Thank you kindly.

Banned

Default Re: FRONTIER 55GN CMJ FLAT POINT 223

No experience with your calibre and combination. Just a thought or two: 23,5gr is a low load according to the online Somchem table.

You should take the long route and work out a new load for the FP's. Since they are of identical weight and your current load is low it should not take long.

User

You should be there about in your load. I'm loading up to 25gr S321 in my LM5 with a 1:12 twist and 13" barrel. My COL is 54.5mm with a full factory crimp. I haven't had any issues with feeding so far. I've downloaded to 24gr which has been dependant on the brass. I don't have any chrono info, when i last tried to chrono my comp messed the chrono readings up and i stopped trying.

Frontier changed from the spitzer type bullet to the FP

Thank you Ady.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by ady View Post
    You should be there about in your load. I'm loading up to 25gr S321 in my LM5 with a 1:12 twist and 13" barrel. My COL is 54.5mm with a full factory crimp. I haven't had any issues with feeding so far. I've downloaded to 24gr which has been dependant on the brass. I don't have any chrono info, when i last tried to chrono my comp messed the chrono readings up and i stopped trying.

Frontier changed from the spitzer type bullet to the FP
    What case prep do you do?

I also have a LM5 and I'm busy getting my reloading regimen sorted.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Ady, just to confirm - you are also loading flat points?

User

Quote Originally Posted by woelofse View Post

The normal COL for 55gr is around 56mm, so I would assume 2mm less is for the FP's.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Will be following this as well for future alternative bullet options.

I have a ADC LE with 14.5” barrel and my normal load is S321 with 55 gr Hornady FMJ and i achieve good results and accuracy.

I know of quite a few people who achieved good results with the Frontier 55 gr SP cmj bullets but I could not get it to work when i tried it a few years ago. Could have been a batch or reloading issue.

User

Quote Originally Posted by woelofse View Post

Yes, i'm loading the Frontier Flat Points. The bullet is seated to the same depth in the case as the old Frontier Spitzer bullet, but the overall COL is shorter.

User

Quote Originally Posted by gbvl View Post
    Will be following this as well for future alternative bullet options.

I have a ADC LE with 14.5” barrel and my normal load is S321 with 55 gr Hornady FMJ and i achieve good results and accuracy.

I know of quite a few people who achieved good results with the Frontier 55 gr SP cmj bullets but I could not get it to work when i tried it a few years ago. Could have been a batch or reloading issue.
    What was the problem with the Frontiers not working? Whats your barrel twist? I've shot out to 300m accurately with the Frontiers out my LM

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast