Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 LastLast

Default Re: So you want a SEMI-AUTO RIFLE/SHOTGUN [guide]

Quote Originally Posted by prepare2win View Post
    I agree, and AFAIK the law says you need the RELEVANT competency to posses a firearm. The erroneous terminology has led to people who have the correct proficiency being denied, and people without being granted licenses.
    Exactly! If a SLR isn't a Rifle then it can only be a Handgun or Shotgun in terms of the provisions of the FCA.

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Lian View Post
    could a mod please delete the contents of my original post and just add this link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x7daqzl7z6...R_process.docx

Updated list and easier to keep updated :)

thx!
    1 year anniversary since the last post on this thread, to the day :)

Trying to study up as much as possible about the process to avoid asking previously answered questions, but the dropbox link is disabled? "Access to this link has been disabled. Please ask the owner of the shared link to send a new link to access the file or the folder."

Is it still available somewhere else?

Re: So you want a SEMI-AUTO RIFLE/SHOTGUN [guide]

Outstanding post, think this needs to be a sticky, will save a lot of new people a lot of time and effort searching and a lot of the more experienced members repeating themselves.

Just to add to your post, their are alternative routes besides SADPA. I found SADPA was recommended by most but it just did not suit my needs and I'm sure it would be difficult for some people that just don't have the time/ability to accumulate the 20 points to obtain DSS (Dedicated Sport Status) or the time/ability to maintain it every year with SADPA. People who spend the majority of their time outside the country, people who live on farms and rural areas and cannot make it to shoots, or merely people who do not have the finances to attend sufficient events to maintain DSS. I am one of these people so I will just substitue what I did differently into your post if you don't mind.

1a) Join NSA : ~ R600 for 2 years

5a) Sign up for NSA's DSS program : ~ R250
    b) Study material and complete open book exam online. Receive results within hours.

6a) Download target from NSA, shoot at accredited range and have range officer countersign and post/email/fax in to NSA.
    b) In order to maintain status you need to particpate in 2 annual postal shoots, basically a twice annual repeat of above.

7a) Receive documentation back from NSA, about 1 week.

8a) you have DSS, congrats. go buy your firearm.

Hi
    Nothing changed since 2011?

User

Quote Originally Posted by hans lombard View Post
    Re: So you want a SEMI-AUTO RIFLE/SHOTGUN [guide]

Outstanding post, think this needs to be a sticky, will save a lot of new people a lot of time and effort searching and a lot of the more experienced members repeating themselves.

Just to add to your post, their are alternative routes besides SADPA. I found SADPA was recommended by most but it just did not suit my needs and I'm sure it would be difficult for some people that just don't have the time/ability to accumulate the 20 points to obtain DSS (Dedicated Sport Status) or the time/ability to maintain it every year with SADPA. People who spend the majority of their time outside the country, people who live on farms and rural areas and cannot make it to shoots, or merely people who do not have the finances to attend sufficient events to maintain DSS. I am one of these people so I will just substitue what I did differently into your post if you don't mind.

1a) Join NSA : ~ R600 for 2 years

5a) Sign up for NSA's DSS program : ~ R250
    b) Study material and complete open book exam online. Receive results within hours.

6a) Download target from NSA, shoot at accredited range and have range officer countersign and post/email/fax in to NSA.
    b) In order to maintain status you need to particpate in 2 annual postal shoots, basically a twice annual repeat of above.

7a) Receive documentation back from NSA, about 1 week.

8a) you have DSS, congrats. go buy your firearm.

Hi
    Nothing changed since 2011?
    I hope not... I just fell in love with a beautiful 12 gauge and I am busy filling out the open book exam at home, so I am hoping this is still the recipe for getting her home ASAP.

User

I am totally confused now, I'm looking at getting a CZ Po7 gen2, this is quite straight forward SD. I'm also looking at getting a SAR dashprod semi auto 12gauge, how would it be licensed and Which competency would be needed?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Schizzo View Post
    I am totally confused now, I'm looking at getting a CZ Po7 gen2, this is quite straight forward SD. I'm also looking at getting a SAR dashprod semi auto 12gauge, how would it be licensed and Which competency would be needed?
    Section 16 and shotgun competency

What do you intend to use the shotgun for? That will inform on how to licence it.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

Quote Originally Posted by SSP View Post
    What do you intend to use the shotgun for? That will inform on how to licence it.
    If I had my way they would both be SD but it would be a bit awkward to try and conceal a shotgun on the daily. The shotgun would be used for occasional hunting/sport shooting. We do wedding photography and I do not have time to attend comps every weekend

User

If I had my way they would both be SD but it would be a bit awkward to try and conceal a shotgun on the daily. The shotgun would be used for occasional hunting/sport shooting. We do wedding photography and I do not have time to attend comps every weekend
    Semi auto shotguns fall under s16. You will have to motivate accordingly.
    Only shotgun competency required.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

You cannot licence a semi auto long gun for occasional sport shooting.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 LastLast