Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Reloading prices

In 6.5x55 factory ammo is 350 for 20 ppu so 17.5 per round, norma 1250 per 20 so 62.5 per round. Reloading R96 for primers so R1 per round R1200 for brass (but you get at least 5 uses out of it) so R2.4 bullets are between 490 and 1400 per 100, powder is between 450 and 880 per bottle that loads between 160 and 190 rounds so betqeen R2.80 and R5.5 per round in powder. So reloading works out between R 10.7 and R22.90.In 308 or 300 win mag you can get cheaper bullet, but 300 win mag uses more powder (you only get about a 100 rounds per tin of powder). 6.5 Creedmoor or 260rem should work out about the same as 6.5x55. Pistol or revolver rounds work out about a R2 saving.So reloading could be anything from breakeven to a massive saving. The price of the reloading equipment should be recouped by the time you have reloaded 300 rounds.That said when you reload you shoot more, but it cost you about the same.

User

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it. Especially the way you explained it RevA. As I said we don't know anything about reloading and don't want to buy all the equipment if we just save a few bucks. I had a 9mm and wait for my licence for a 308. Also want to buy maybe a creedmore, but between my two brothers is there a few guns, for example a 300 winmag, 338, creedmore, 6.5 x 55, and a 5x 75. So the reason is we must think if we shoot enough to make it worth going into reloading.

Quote Originally Posted by Speed_Freak View Post
    Ideally you will need the following, Press, full set of dies, A means to lube cases, Tumbler (Vibratory, Steel or Ultra Sonic), Trimmer, Deburrer\Chamfer Tool, Primer pocket cleaner, electronic scale, powder funnel and caliper. That will get you going.
    + Powder measure

User

Quote Originally Posted by PduPreez View Post
    Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it. Especially the way you explained it RevA. As I said we don't know anything about reloading and don't want to buy all the equipment if we just save a few bucks. I had a 9mm and wait for my licence for a 308. Also want to buy maybe a creedmore, but between my two brothers is there a few guns, for example a 300 winmag, 338, creedmore, 6.5 x 55, and a 5x 75. So the reason is we must think if we shoot enough to make it worth going into reloading.
    You can get a decent lee reloading kit that just needs dies for under 3000, and each set of dies for each new caliber should be about 700-900. Might even get it cheaper if you shop around and watch specials.The other advatage to reloading is if you plan well you will always have your favourite ammo, with factory ammo it does happen that you walk into a gunshop and they don't have the rounds you like.

User

My father, brother and I bought a kit together and agreed that it will be installed at my father's house. So the initial cost was much lower and well worth it in the end.

With regards to rifle reloading. You can reload premium quality ammunition for much cheaper than the same kind of factory ammo.

Apart from saving some money the big advantage for me is that you have something interesting to do when not on the range and the learning curve is awesome.

So its well worth the investment even if you dont shoot that much. In fact once you start reloading you will make time to shoot more. Always exciting to go out and test your new load.

PS: Just make sure you understand the concept of reloading and the dangers that comes with it if you are not careful. Like you mentioned a course can help or someone that you know that has been reloading can be a huge help.

Also since you will share the equipment make a set of rules when using the equipment and if any rules has been broken its a 100 rand in the kitty.

Rules like

Cleaning the powder dispenser is a must since not all calibers will use the same powder. Wrong powder in the wrong caliber is a big no no. (Obviously you will check this before you start reloading. Never assume it has been cleared of all powder)
    If you used something put it back where you got it. Nothing more frustrating when something has been misplaced.
    Clean everything after use. Quite annoying when taking the sonic cleaner out and its still full of water or grit.
    If something is finished like the lube or sonic cleaner liquid go and replace it or let the others know so that it can be replaced.

Stuff like that. Just keeps things going smoothly and keep things interesting. Nothing like giving your brother crap for not following the rules

User

Quote Originally Posted by ruaanfs View Post
    My father, brother and I bought a kit together and agreed that it will be installed at my father's house. So the initial cost was much lower and well worth it in the end.

With regards to rifle reloading. You can reload premium quality ammunition for much cheaper than the same kind of factory ammo.

Apart from saving some money the big advantage for me is that you have something interesting to do when not on the range and the learning curve is awesome.

So its well worth the investment even if you dont shoot that much. In fact once you start reloading you will make time to shoot more. Always exciting to go out and test your new load.

PS: Just make sure you understand the concept of reloading and the dangers that comes with it if you are not careful. Like you mentioned a course can help or someone that you know that has been reloading can be a huge help.

Also since you will share the equipment make a set of rules when using the equipment and if any rules has been broken its a 100 rand in the kitty.

Rules like

Cleaning the powder dispenser is a must since not all calibers will use the same powder. Wrong powder in the wrong caliber is a big no no. (Obviously you will check this before you start reloading. Never assume it has been cleared of all powder)
    If you used something put it back where you got it. Nothing more frustrating when something has been misplaced.
    Clean everything after use. Quite annoying when taking the sonic cleaner out and its still full of water or grit.
    If something is finished like the lube or sonic cleaner liquid go and replace it or let the others know so that it can be replaced.

Stuff like that. Just keeps things going smoothly and keep things interesting. Nothing like giving your brother crap for not following the rules
    Nice option if you are close by and trust the other parties

I like the penalty box idea

IMO you need a chrony to measure muzzle velocity so that you know your loads is on spec and safe.
    Should actually be one of the first pieces of equipment you should own.

User

Before you do anything..pse get this book..https://books.google.co.za/books/abo...on&redir_esc=y

User

Quote Originally Posted by Hein Kok View Post
    IMO you need a chrony to measure muzzle velocity so that you know your loads is on spec and safe.Should actually be one of the first pieces of equipment you should own.
    Or just borrow a friend's chrony

User

Quote Originally Posted by RevA View Post
    Or just borrow a friend's chrony
    if they buying the kit as a group they should by a chrony for the group.

I think a chrony is must have for any rifle loader. handgun you can get away with a loaned chrony.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast