Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    User

Default Re: How many mags do you take on holiday?

Same amount as usual. I figure if I had the misfortune of getting into a gun fight while on holiday, I was probably going to go home as opposed to hang around the town, necessitating extra ammo in case of 2nd fight.

Carrying in the water is an issue for me, one I haven't quite figured out. I surf for hours at a time, without my firearm on me. I haven't come up with a workable solution to that one yet, so I do have an elevated risk profile.

I personally don't trust those little hotel safes.

User

Quote Originally Posted by SLR View Post
    Normal electronic room safes are NOT safe storage. I have not yet found one that would meet the SABS requirements at normal accommodation.

It's not a matter of beggars can't be choosers, leaving a firearm in one is illegal storage.

Get a small backpack, stick a drybag in it and swim with it on you. Bonus, your self defense gun is actually on you
    Rather leave the gun at home then, if you try this in the surf you will likely drown.

User

I’m in the same predicament.

I’m planning on getting a Nissi car safe installed for the days I want to go swimming.

I am testing out pocket carry for my G43 so I can walk around without a shirt.

I’ll always have a Spyderco folder with a H1 blade on me, even when swimming in the ocean because of the rustproof nature of the steel. It’s better than nothing...
    Last edited by LeftShot; 19-11-2018 at 17:56. Reason: Word repetition.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Cockroach View Post
    And they typically have an override code for when the resident forgets the code they created, or leaves it locked on departure.

Sent from my WAS-LX2 using Tapatalk
    The keyless/ code safes can be opened in seconds without any key , paperclip and or code.
    We have one of those safes at work. It is used to keep standby keys in and when the code was required everyone forgot the code?
    One of the guys went and knocked the safe from the bottom while turning the knob....AND YES IT OPENED! He said he Googled it on a previous callout?

User

Quote Originally Posted by DLRX View Post
    The keyless/ code safes can be opened in seconds without any key , paperclip and or code.
    We have one of those safes at work. It is used to keep standby keys in and when the code was required everyone forgot the code?
    One of the guys went and knocked the safe from the bottom while turning the knob....AND YES IT OPENED! He said he Googled it on a previous callout?
    There are different quality ones though

User

Quote Originally Posted by Gleock View Post
    Rather leave the gun at home then, if you try this in the surf you will likely drown.
    If a small backpack or moonbag causes you to drown, you were out of your depth already.

User

If a small backpack or moonbag causes you to drown, you were out of your depth already.
    Have you ever jumped into a pool with jeans on? Even that is not pleasant. I would be hesitant to try similar moves in less predictable water, i.e, the ocean.
    Water is stronger than even the biggest roided out gym bunny. Anything that can impair your movement in water is a recipe to drown.

User

I'd hate for the bag to fall off and disappear into the ocean...

User

Dude I grew up in KZN, the Indian ocean isn't the vaal dam.

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

For the drive I pack in 3 spare + a box of 50 for my EDC. When walking around I carry just a spare. I also pack in the Shiled with spare mag and a long gun for the drive - with 3 spare mags, you know just in case I want to go to the range while I’m holiday.
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast