User

Default Travelling to Zimbabwe, Need Cellular advice

Hi There.

i am going to botswana and Zimbabwe in December, i am looking to get some type of sim card so that I can still use data on that side, whatsapp, emails etc. With Vodacom I am not able to use "South African" data in Zimbabwe.

No need for phone calls as i can use whatsapp.

Please assist

Thanks in advance

User

Default Re: Travelling to Zimbabwe, Need Cellular advice

Best advise is to get a prepaid sim that side and load a data bundle, stick it in your phone and your normal WhatsApp still works. Usually all you need is your passport and the sim cards are cheap.

User

Data is pretty cheap in Botswana. I've used Mascom and Orange before with no issues, buying a limited period data bundle. Signal was good in Gaberone for both. In Namibia I've used MTC a couple times. Can't help with Zim, sorry.

Sent from my FIG-LA1 using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by Davidc View Post
    Best advise is to get a prepaid sim that side and load a data bundle, stick it in your phone and your normal WhatsApp still works. Usually all you need is your passport and the sim cards are cheap.
    Only problem is I wont be entering any major cities In zimbabwe, our lodge is +- 2km away from kaserne border post.

Will i be able to get one in south africa that will work there or maybe even get one in botswana?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Imo_P07 View Post
    Only problem is I wont be entering any major cities In Zimbabwe...
    When I went to Namibia via Kasane airport in Bots, I got a sim in a little spaza shop 5 minutes from the border post. They might ask a bit more for a sim, but it was very convenient. I'm sure you'll find spaza shops that will sell sims on your route.

Sent from my FIG-LA1 using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by Imo_P07 View Post
    Only problem is I wont be entering any major cities In zimbabwe, our lodge is +- 2km away from kaserne border post.

Will i be able to get one in south africa that will work there or maybe even get one in botswana?
    As mentioned you should be able to get a sim at the border. Data is very expensive on roaming so a local sim with data is a must. What grinds me is that I buy data here for much cheaper than in SA and yet Vodacom is a major partner of the local providers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Yeah you should get a Sim at kasane border. I've found econet to be the best in terms of coverage in Zimbabwe. 3 dollars gets you the watsapp data bundle for the month. So you should be good with that if watsapp is all u need, otherwise 1 dollar a day gets you 250megs, 2 dollars a day gets u a gig etc, if you need general use data

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk