Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Help with some. 303 markings

Hi, I'm trying to get an idea of approximately how old my BSA. 303 is. This is a 3rd generation rifle, passed on from grandad to my dad and then onto me. I tried searching the interwebs and "possibly" identified some but I'm sure someone here are more clued up and can either confirm or correct my assumptions?

The broad arrow with a u shows acceptance into a country (possibly the Union)

The crown with BM is the proof of British Military.

I have no info on the other U stamp with what looks like fishhooks through it? (perhaps a cancelled stamp)
    And also no idea around the M stamp with the 2 flags.

The rifle was made sporting and also has this nice Parker Hale sight attachment.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

User

Default Re: Help with some. 303 markings

How many digits does the serial number have ?

Also post a photo of the whole rifle preferably from the right hand side so that the model can be determined which makes it easier to determine an approximate age.

Quote Originally Posted by Samizat45 View Post
    How many digits does the serial number have ?

Also post a photo of the whole rifle preferably from the right hand side so that the model can be determined which makes it easier to determine an approximate age.
    5 digits, starting with 41.

Quote Originally Posted by WR74 View Post
    5 digits, starting with 41.

I only have these pics on my phone (not sure if that helps)

User

"U" with arrow inside is Union of South Africa acceptance mark
    "U" with diamond inside is sold out of service marking, no idea about the markings over it.
    BM with crown over is Birmingham proof mark.

From what I can see in photos, I suspect the the rifle is a CLLE dating from around 1922 (The Union of SA received a consignment of these around then)
    Check on the barrel under the top handguard, there might be a date stamp.

Also, do you have the top arm of your PH sight? Your photo only shows the mounting.

Quote Originally Posted by vratvark View Post
    "U" with diamond inside is sold out of service marking, no idea about the markings over it.

From what I can see in photos, I suspect the the rifle is a CLLE dating from around 1922 (The Union of SA received a consignment of these around then)

Also, do you have the top arm of your PH sight? Your photo only shows the mounting.
    Thanks. It's probably in a box somewhere. I'll have a look.

It does have a charger slot, so you're probably right. I also have a old bandolier with some old in the chargers. They still work too.

User

No1 MK III I think. I have a No 1 MKIII* which does not have the magazine cut-off . Date of manufacture any time from 1907 onwards according to Wikipedia.
    I would guess that it may be pre-1915 based on the serial number although SMLE serial numbers could be anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Samizat45 View Post
    No1 MK III I think. I have a No 1 MKIII* which does not have the magazine cut-off . Date of manufacture any time from 1907 onwards according to Wikipedia.
    I would guess that it may be pre-1915 based on the serial number although SMLE serial numbers could be anything.
    Thanks for your help. Appreciate it

The opposing "tadpole" marks are a cancellation stamp. Thus the diamond in U South African sold out of service stamp was cancelled; presumably because either it was done in error or the rifle was brought back into service.

The crossed pennants are the British military proof stamp. The BM is a commercial proof stamp, and is found on commercially manufactured replacement barrels fitted by the Union Defence Force, usually BSA made.

Peter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast