Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Default Re: Buffalo hunt gone wrong

Idiot hunters in op video. They are bloody lucky to be alive. Screaming like a stuck pig, don't play with things you don't know about. None of them look like they have ever hunted dangerous game before.

I've hit a Buffalo 4 times in the center of the chest I could see the chest being thumped back at each shot. The charge carried on past me for a good 50 meters. Before the buff collapsed and died. 458 using solids.
    All 4 shots shredded the heart.
    Thank goodness for 1 of the best PH in the world who was my mentor.

A Buffalo is not dead until you are eating the liver on the braai that night.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    It wouldn't be logical to allow someone to hunt dangerous game with their bow ONLY if they were "prepared to follow-up with that particular piece of equipment" in the event of the animal being wounded. Taking the initial shot with the bow makes sense because, for the initial shot, it can reliably effect a clean kill when used within it's limitations by a skilled marksman. If things go wrong and a follow-up is required on DG then it is time to switch to the appropriate follow-up tools.
    Is it logical to hunt an animal with something you're not prepared to follow up and finish the job with when it's wounded? If so, I'd like to hear the line of reasoning.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit: occidentis telum est.

Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

User

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Leigh View Post
    That is actually a very valid point. Kinda like slapping a big guy when your even bigger brother is standing behind you waiting to bail you.
    Is that not the same as shooting a Buffalo with a 375 when you have a PH standing behind you with a 500 double?

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderin' Zero View Post
    Is it logical to hunt an animal with something you're not prepared to follow up and finish the job with when it's wounded? If so, I'd like to hear the line of reasoning.

By that reasoning you should hunt it yourself, and if you have to go in after it, you shouldn't have a PH backing you up

I dunno. I'm not sure I'd hunt a buff with a .375 anyway. Pretty marginal for the job, no?

Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

User

I dunno. I'm not sure I'd hunt a buff with a .375 anyway. Pretty marginal for the job, no?

Yeah I'm just playing devils advocate, cause I wouldn't hunt one with a bow either, but if you're gonna say you mustn't hunt it with a bow because you might have to switch to a gun, then it's kinda like saying well don't hunt it at all cause you might need another guy with another gun to help you, regardless of calibre.

Quote Originally Posted by Roguemeister View Post
    By that reasoning you should hunt it yourself, and if you have to go in after it, you shouldn't have a PH backing you up

Yes and by parity of reasoning it's okay to hunt a buffalo with a .22LR... as long as you have a PH behind you.

But it's interesting how everyone skirts the question: Why hunt with a weapon you're not prepared to follow up with? Because you know it's not really adequate for the job. That's why your PH doesn't follow up with a bow.

Anyway, it's a futile debate. The world is full of such.

I can understand bow hunting. I'm just not persuaded of the wisdom or fairness of it.

Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

Quote Originally Posted by Roguemeister View Post
    Yeah I'm just playing devils advocate, cause I wouldn't hunt one with a bow either, but if you're gonna say you mustn't hunt it with a bow because you might have to switch to a gun, then it's kinda like saying well don't hunt it at all cause you might need another guy with another gun to help you, regardless of calibre.

Only 50 BMG allowed!

Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

User

Yes and by parity of reasoning it's okay to hunt a buffalo with a .22LR... as long as you have a PH behind you.

But it's interesting how everyone skirts the question: Why hunt with a weapon you're not prepared to follow up with? Because you know it's not really adequate for the job. That's why your PH doesn't follow up with a bow.

Anyway, it's a futile debate. The world is full of such.

I can understand bow hunting. I'm just not persuaded of the wisdom or fairness of it.

Yeah I'm on the same side of the fence as you, I'm all for bow hunting, but I certainly wouldn't go after something that can squash me with a bow.

That's why a have a rifle in my safe that has 450 stamped on the barrel.

User

First the 9.3x62 is not enough rifle and now the 375H&H whilst there have been many thousands of successful buffalo hunts with both calibers? All this from a thread that started with a duffed shot from a bow and a less than ideal follow up using at least one rifle not up to the job at hand?

It seems there are far too many perfect hunters on this forum, people who have never wounded an animal. I have yet to meet such a hunter in person and if I do it will likely be someone who hasn't done a lot of hunting in his/ her life.

The fact of the matter is, the correct bow with the correct arrow setup is more than capable of killing a buffalo cleanly and quickly, given correct shot placement. You can also wound a buffalo with a .700NE if your shot placement isn't good enough, youtube has many examples of buffalo taking multiple shots from big bore rifles before going down. Weapons are not magic wands and s#!t happens sometimes that requires a follow up. No one I know purposely goes out to wound an animal and then when it happens, why should it matter what is used during a follow up as long as you can kill the animal as quickly as possible?

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 LastLast