Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: .224 Valkyrie

Default .224 Valkyrie

"Guns are just tools, the way they're used reflects the society they're apart of, if you don't like guns, blame it on society" ~Chris Kyle

User

Default Re: .224 Valkyrie

Seems like a good idea. Is it not just another 6.5 Grendel/6.5PPC/6.8SPC though?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Kayback View Post
    Seems like a good idea. Is it not just another 6.5 Grendel/6.5PPC/6.8SPC though?
    Available bullets are a much higher bc than what any of those cartridges launch. Plus you're getting decent velocities from this with said low drag bullets (90 grain @ 2700fps, according to Federal loads)

I have been reading up on this caliber for the last 4 days.
    For me it seems like a must have‼️

Seems very interesting. Watching this one closely.

User

Latest flavour.......

User

Barrels beware

Quote Originally Posted by LoopSoosStroop View Post
    Barrels beware
    I am curious. Why would you expect it to be a "barrel burner"?

Ultimately nothing but scientifically performed comparable tests would in any event provide sound proof of how different calibres fare compared to each other. I suppose many factors play a role here. For instance pressure and heat. This is a brand new calibre, not even out for two months yet. So it is unlikely that anyone has shot out a barrel yet. Unless we compare it to similar wildcat calibres with known barrel life issues that has actually been proven and not old wife's tales only? Or factory ammo that also say pushes out a 90 gr bullet at 2700 fps. Sounds almost like less than the 243 Win. Obviously the bearing surface will be different though.

Then there's this thing. If you have the use for a calibre in an AR15 platform with the least of recoil, that retains the same energy at 1000m, that a 9mmP has at point blank range, what alternatives do you have? So barrel life of 1000 to 2000 rounds less than say for instance a 308 Win then in any event is not so much of a deciding factor then. And the 308 in any event mostly reaches the transonic range at about 800m whereas the 224 V is far from there at 1000m.

The 224 V is just as pretty as the 6.5 CM. Younger sister I would say. 308 has grown a beer belly but can still fight. 6.5 CM is a Gladiator.

Some guys will buy box wine for a purpose and they are guaranteed to be satisfied to achieve what they intended to achieve. Another guy may prefer say a Paul Sauer on occasion. And he is guaranteed to be satisfied and to have achieved his aim. To each his own I suppose.

So no, it may not (if it is indeed proven that its barrel life is indeed much less that 223) be for someone who wants to fire large amounts of ammo downrange at relatively close (300m at the very most and only on very rare occasions) targets only.

"Guns are just tools, the way they're used reflects the society they're apart of, if you don't like guns, blame it on society" ~Chris Kyle

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast