User

Default crayfishing in the western cape.

lets use this thead to discuss what has been going on with the current 2011 crayfishing seasons. I mean what the hell is up with it??

User

Default Re: crayfishing in the western cape.

Hi Smityb.I have not been to Kommetjie for many years but have caught MANY kreef there over the years.I'm talking abouth the late 80's and early nineties till late nineties.Back the. it would take us maybe 30-45minutes using only 4 nets and a small rubberduck to catch our quota of 16 kreef.At that stage the carapace limit was still 89mm.Over the years it started to take up to two hours or more and then we still might not have made quota and this was with the reduced size of I think around 80mm.I have heard that nowadays there are certain days and only some weekends that allow you to fish for them.This is tragic that the stocks are so diminished.I feel it is not the sportfishermans fault but these damn commercial chaps that take so many out and most of them are so small.

User

Do some homework on the subsistence quotas that have been given out - it will turn your hair grey! We have a bunch of complete buffoons running the show led by a man wearing short pants (not that I have anything against short pants) in parliament who crossed the floor to save his bottom! I also cannot believe we still issue Perlemoen quotas! These people also regulate the hunting industry - heaven knows what they will think up next!

User

there's any easy way for the SAPS to make money out of this.
    simply outright ban kreef fishing, put massive/stupid-excessive fines out for it.

then make some taskforces to enforce it. people/poachers WILL obviously attempt to bypass it, and the massive fines will be a major funds boost for the SAPS.
    think of it as legal and official entrapment.

1) you give crayfish a year or 3 to grow/replenish again
    2) the SAPS gets a major cash reserve boost.

win/win.... no?
    there are things people can live without. be it rhino horn, or crayfish.

User

Can someone maybe outline the actual season restriction? When, where, how many (Bag limit).

User

from what i understand the seaon is currently closed but will be opening during the easter holidays for a short period of time, minimum size is 80mm, quota is 4 per licence and 20 per boat; vehicle or whatever. no diving before 8:00am and after 6:00pm. im not too sure about the actual season dates. (no one is, not even the post office or authorities) so some clarity on that would be good.

---------- Post added at 16:19 ---------- Previous post was at 16:15 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by G-force View Post
    Hi Smityb.I have not been to Kommetjie for many years but have caught MANY kreef there over the years.I'm talking abouth the late 80's and early nineties till late nineties.Back the. it would take us maybe 30-45minutes using only 4 nets and a small rubberduck to catch our quota of 16 kreef.At that stage the carapace limit was still 89mm.Over the years it started to take up to two hours or more and then we still might not have made quota and this was with the reduced size of I think around 80mm.I have heard that nowadays there are certain days and only some weekends that allow you to fish for them.This is tragic that the stocks are so diminished.I feel it is not the sportfishermans fault but these damn commercial chaps that take so many out and most of them are so small.
    its the commercial guys that just catch any crayfish, even undersize and in berry (a guy i spoke to actually saw them do this and they just eat them on the boat and come back to land with their quota)

User

User

Quote Originally Posted by Lian View Post
    there's any easy way for the SAPS to make money out of this.
    simply outright ban kreef fishing, put massive/stupid-excessive fines out for it.

then make some taskforces to enforce it. people/poachers WILL obviously attempt to bypass it, and the massive fines will be a major funds boost for the SAPS.
    think of it as legal and official entrapment.

1) you give crayfish a year or 3 to grow/replenish again
    2) the SAPS gets a major cash reserve boost.

win/win.... no?
    there are things people can live without. be it rhino horn, or crayfish.
    The state does absolutely nothing about the perlemoen poaching, what makes you think they will do anything about the crayfish stocks? Operation neptune, which was fairly succesfull was stopped dead in its tracks, why? treading on some high up peoples toes? I know some policeman and taakies that worked on that one, and they had a great success rate, but suddenly it was stopped. The only people that will be targetted will be you and i, the law abiding citizens.