Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Making changes on your scope

The scope on my .22LR is totally overkill and worth a lot more than the rifle itself. I am too scared to clean its lenses as I am afraid it might get scratched. I have bought the right equipment but have not yet used it. I thought about putting a glass shield on my scopes objective lens. Is there a way of doing it? I would rather clean this piece of glass and replace it when it gets scratched. Secondly, I have touched wet paint on a farm while climbing through a fence. I have not felt the wetness at the time at all, but only noticed it later on my scope. So now there is some paint on the rubber eye-piece. How do I remove that paint without leaving a mark on the black rubber eye-piece?

User

Default Re: Making changes on your scope

PCfanatic, I use a Leupold lens pen on all my scopes. It is designed to clean your scopes and works like a charm.

User

You get a scope cover [not sure of terminology] , the rubber part fits over the objective lense and it has a hinged cover either of black plastic or clear glass which you flip up out of the way when the scope is in use.
    These covers are relatively inexpensive,just slips over the objective lense and does a good job of keeping out dust and dirt.

Just measure the size of the lense on your scope before you go to a gun shop to get one as the size is needed to ensure a tight fit.

Can you not gently scrape the paint off the rubber with a blade.

Pretty sure Turpentine or thinners will work.
    Alternatively Paint stripper.
    It should not harm you rscope.
    As the scope is not painted.

Also. The more you stress about something. Like a scope or car or anything else.
    And you become overprotective of it.
    The more likely it will get a ding or a scrape.
    Ive got scopes thats 20 years old. Not a mark on them.
    And Ive had them on back of bakkie. In hunting field.
    Even in rain.

Ive had a Lynx two years back damaged. By falling on it when I slipped.
    Lynx replaced Sunshade and front parallax ring at about R400-R500 shipping included from CPT.

User

Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post
    Pretty sure Turpentine or thinners will work.
    Alternatively Paint stripper.
    It should not harm you rscope.
    As the scope is not painted.
    Try this on your own scopes first. Post pictures afterwards. Especially of the paint stripper one...

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    Try this on your own scopes first. Post pictures afterwards. Especially of the paint stripper one...
    If you have read up on scopes. They are Anodized. Not painted black.
    Paint stripper, Turpentine and Thinners does not affect Anodizing.
    Im in the Aluminium business. And our workers use these chemicals on Aluminum Windows and doors that got paint messed over them during building.
    It doesnt do anything to the Anodizing.

If you have alu sliding door or window at home. You can test on it. Wont do anything.

User

PCfanatic.The covers Pre64 refers to are made by Butler Creek and can be bought at virtually any gunshop.I use them on all my scopes and they work very well.Just make sure you measure and know the o.d.of your particular scope's front and rear before buying a set(they are sold seperately)sice they come in different sizes.I notice you say the paint is on the rubber piece of the scope,rather use some parrafin since thinners or something stronger might cause the rubber to perish faster on the long run.

User

The paint is not on the body of the scope, but on the rubber eye-piece.I cannot get scope covers as the scope is ridiculously low-mounted. There is basically no space between my scope and the barrel.

If on rubber. It should be easy to remove.
    Paint does not like stretching.
    So if you keep pushing on rubber by paint.
    The paint will start to chip and you should be able to scrape lightly with nail even and get off.
    Dont use metal or knife to scrape the paint. As this will damage the rubber.

What make scope is it.
    Worst case you should be able to get those rubber part loose.
    Should not be expensive.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast