Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Ammo for .357 magnum

Hi All.
    I am new to this site and hope that someone can help me. I own a 2'' snubnose revolver Taurus .357. Its a 7 shot. I bought it a couple of years ago and now need some advise as i decided that it is time to start training with it properly.

Where can i find decent ammo for this little beast? I have magtec's in it at the moment but sure that there must be something better out there. I hear allot about black talon's, ranger T's, Remington gold and and and. Does anyone have advise for me what kind of ammo would be the best for this and where to find. Should i be looking at hollow point and are they leagal to carry in SA? I have been phoning around and it looks like whatever i can find i must take as there is not a lot of ammo floating around for this caliber.

The other 2 issues that i have i finding a decent holster for this gun. As it is a 7 shot, NO one has anything that fits the way it should. Any advise?
    HKS makes speed loaders (i know chicken teeth), any one bringing them into SA, especially for this gun.

Please help as I have given up.

User

Default Re: Ammo for .357 magnum

Firstly Hollow points are legal.

Yes, good carry ammo is scarce at the moment. Buy what you can find. If you find something better later, buy that as well and relegate the first purchase to second tier as backup or use it for training.

Sean.
    Pain is just weakness leaving the body.

Remember that one nice thing about the .357 Magnum is that it will also shoot .38 Special ammo with no problems. If you have only been looking for Magnums, that alone should expand your selection by a good amount since there seem to be .38 snubbies everywhere in SA. I would definitely do most of my practice with .38 Spl. and save wear and tear on both myself and the gun, then shoot a few magnums now and then for familiarization. In fact, some of the top tier .38 Spl. +P JHP loads work very well for defense use.

Hollow points are the way to go if you can find any but the 140-158gr bullets tend to perform better across the board. They are legal for carry in SA.

If you use lead bullet .38s to train with, make sure to clean the chambers well before you shoot the Magnums since lead will sometimes build up in both the barrel and chambers, causing pressures to rise when a jacketed magnum load is fired. No, it probably won't blow up the gun, but it will put un necessary stress on it.

While you can order a holster from the states, that can get expensive if you really don't know which one you want. I would consider contacting Geoff Carter (Carters kydex in the Dealer Section) and see if he might be able to make something for you but he will probably need the actual revolver for a template. He is in Cape Town.

You will probably have to order the speedloaders (get at least 4 I say) from some place like Brownells...might as well get a few more things when you do, else shipping will kill ya on a small order to SA.

And welcome! hpy180
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

User

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Murphy
    Firstly Hollow points are legal.

Yes, good carry ammo is scarce at the moment. Buy what you can find. If you find something better later, buy that as well and relegate the first purchase to second tier as backup or use it for training.

Sean.
    Southern Arms has 125gr +P Remington Golden Sabers in .38Spl.

User

Thank you all so much for the help.

This is really a nice site and glad there is still some people out there that are willing to help. I just found some Semi jacket hollow points 110g winchester. Pricing at R655.00 for a 100. Is that a good price, and are they worth the money? HKS speed loader for R180. Took me ages to find so i will pay anything. LOL

IKor - do you suggest any rounds .38 to train with that will not break the bank and that i can sharpen my shooting skills with? Will there be a big change in hitting the target from .38 to .357? With regards to the holster, I am out in JHB and would be pretty hard to get the gun down to CT for sizing. I heard of someone out in magalies that does it to, but do not know the name.

Do you know of any training facility that would help out on the skills level?

Thank again for all the help.

Quote Originally Posted by havoc69

This is really a nice site and glad there is still some people out there that are willing to help. I just found some Semi jacket hollow points 110g winchester. Pricing at R655.00 for a 100. Is that a good price, and are they worth the money? HKS speed loader for R180. Took me ages to find so i will pay anything. LOL

IKor - do you suggest any rounds .38 to train with that will not break the bank and that i can sharpen my shooting skills with? Will there be a big change in hitting the target from .38 to .357? With regards to the holster, I am out in JHB and would be pretty hard to get the gun down to CT for sizing. I heard of someone out in magalies that does it to, but do not know the name.

If possible, I would opt for something heavier than the 110's for deeper penetration. Lightweight, high speed JHPs have a spotty history. They can work well or they can fail miserably, (although so can any bullet...it's a handgun, not a death ray!) usually when deep penetration is called for. I would personally feel better with at least 125 grains of bullet, but as you have noted, decent ammo is not easily found in SA these days.

For training, I have shot lead semi-wadcutters in .38 revolvers in SA before but forget who the makers were. I do know they were not reloads. Lead is perfectly fine for use in your revolver...just make sure to clean it well after you finish shooting. Check with Khumba here via PM and see what he says about .38 stuff for training use...also Brendan keeps up pretty well with the ammo situation in JHB. ;D

As for training with the gear, I strongly suggest you contact SWATG also in the Dealer Section. There are others in SA who do good training, no doubt, but many here have trained with Swattie and can vouch for the fact that he and his associates are not only good, they also focus on practical self defense use of guns and blades...something too many other trainers do not unless you want to pay big bucks.
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

User

Quote Originally Posted by ikor
    Quote Originally Posted by havoc69

If possible, I would opt for something heavier than the 110's for deeper penetration. Lightweight, high speed JHPs have a spotty history. They can work well or they can fail miserably, (although so can any bullet...it's a handgun, not a death ray!) usually when deep penetration is called for. I would personally feel better with at least 125 grains of bullet, but as you have noted, decent ammo is not easily found in SA these days.

For training, I have shot lead semi-wadcutters in .38 revolvers in SA before but forget who the makers were. I do know they were not reloads. Lead is perfectly fine for use in your revolver...just make sure to clean it well after you finish shooting. Check with Khumba here via PM and see what he says about .38 stuff for training use...also Brendan keeps up pretty well with the ammo situation in JHB. ;D

As for training with the gear, I strongly suggest you contact SWATG also in the Dealer Section. There are others in SA who do good training, no doubt, but many here have trained with Swattie and can vouch for the fact that he and his associates are not only good, they also focus on practical self defense use of guns and blades...something too many other trainers do not unless you want to pay big bucks.
    Agreed. Ikor's right, minimum of 125gr bullet in either .38Spl/.357 Mag for penetration purposes.
    Check out Southern Arms in Wynberg 011 444 5470, Geoff has both .38Spl and .357Mag ammo (range & carry). Have a chat to him about sourcing holsters etc.

User

Read the forum rules
    Last edited by Skaaphaas; 02-08-2016 at 07:19.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Nicorath View Post
    Read the forum rules
    WTF?.??Necropost much....

User

Quote Originally Posted by Wade View Post
    WTF?.??Necropost much....

His post has been edited because he though he could sell ammo

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast