Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Howa1500 or Weatherby Vanguard Series 2?

Hi Guys,

I'm currently in the market for a new .308 hunting rifle.

I have done some research and come down to two rifles in my desired price range. The Howa 1500 and Weatherby Vanguard Series 2. Apparently both have very good out-the-box accuracy and come well recommended.

I have no idea which to go for? Any input will be greatly appreciated and feel free to give any other recommendations or pieces of advice.

Thanks,
    Greg

User

Default Re: Howa1500 or Weatherby Vanguard Series 2?

Howa, excellent reputation and many stores can supply you.

I will go for Howa. It will be my next purchase. In .308 of course.
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man…"

User

I went Howa. So far I'm very happy with it.

Banned

Got my Howa 223 on the 19th April and have had 2 shooting sessions where I am using their barrel break-in method. I did not complete the ten single shot series as the barrel hardly fouled as from the first shot. I shot a 1 inch 3 shot group with 69gr Winchester ammo of 2 formed nearly one hole. The first shot was from a clean barrel and was the lower of the three.

The action is very smooth and although at present there is a slight gritty pull on the trigger but it breaks very cleanly. The synthetic rubber stock gives very good grip and in heavier recoiling rifles will help with recoil. I am so far impressed with this rifle and the 3 stage safety is also very handy and operates smoothly. The magazine is easily opened by pressing a button mounted on the forward part of the trigger guard.

The Vanguard is (or was) also made by Howa and I believe share parts.

I will try and attach the grouping. They are the three lower shots.

User

Also got the Howa. Happy with it

I have the older Weatherby Vanguard Synthetic which I bought last June (Series 1 they call it now) in .308 Winchester. Accurate out of the box (sub1" 5 shot group @100m with factory ammo & better with hand loada) & points nicely for me. Much of a muchness between the Howa & Weatherby Vanguard seeing as Howa make the Vanguard action for Weatherby (not sure about the barrel).

I noticed that the Weatherby website now gaurantees the Vanguard S2 to shoot a 1'' or smaller 3 shot group @ 100yrds with premium factory ammo. The gaurantee for the older Vanguard was 1.5''

Banned

After posting I could not find the thread again. Be aware that there is a similar thread bearing this name. I have copied a grouping from their and will post both of the groupings.Attachment 7158Attachment 7159

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by nkosi View Post
    Much of a muchness between the Howa & Weatherby Vanguard seeing as Howa make the Vanguard action for Weatherby (not sure about the barrel)'
    Agreed. Pretty much what I've seen and heard. Both rifles rifles are made by Howa (and you can throw the S&W M1500 into the same mix, essentially all one and the same rifle). The differences are mostly cosmetic (i.e. different bolt and bolt shroud) as well as each offering different calibres, barrel lengths and stock design. But for all intents and purposes they are the same rifle just branded and marketed to attract different sectors of the same market.

If there's a price difference between the Howa and the Weatherby (in the same calibre etc.) then the choice becomes a no-brainer.

I bought a Howa 1500, .300 win mag, in 2000 and put it to hard use. Never had any problems but I've eventually worn out the barrel and now have to replace it (the barrel, not the rifle).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast