Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Banned

Default Recoil Spring Glock 19x advice

Need some advice on recoil springs for my Glock.....

So my understanding after countless hours of research is that if ones shoots ipsc you reload with less powder than a factory round to achieve a factor of 125 so that you have less recoil...the factory glock recoil springs tension will be suitable for factory rounds but with "slower" rounds it will not be ideal wrt recoil, or if a weaker spring is used the recoil will be less....So after 600 rounds I decide to invest in a metal recoil spring and buy two springs one with 13 pounds less tension that factory and one with 14 pounds less tension than factory and various other upgrades to try compensate for my weak shooting skills...long story short I'm getting 990 fps on 124 grain which is below factor but was within factor with my Hi- power clone....So off to the range to see how all the upgrades are going to improve my shooting skills I put 150 rounds through the gun and all is well except I sometimes knock the extended slide stop and the slide locks back.. the recoil feels a bit better but it could be the placebo effect It started raining so I decide to throw in the towel and try the 14 pound spring next week....when I get home I clean the gun and discover that the recoil spring guide rod has damage to the part that connects to the barrel and the anodized aluminium cap that guides the rod through the frame also has a small piece gouged out of it and some other random marks on it....definitely not the amount of wear that i was expecting after 150 rounds...my question is do I order the 12 pound spring (the lowest spring they have), bearing in mind that I'm actually shooting below factor or just stop trying to polish a turd and keep shooting the glock until I get a shadow 1 or 2 or Glock 34?

User

Default Re: Recoil Spring Glock 19x advice

Just use the factory parts, and stop trying to load to exactly 125. Because you may get to a league match on a cold day, and out of the official's gun you may find you don't make factor, and get DQ'd. I run my game loads at ~130ish.

User

You are trying to shoot better. But trying to buy your skill. The money would be better spent on ammo and more range time.

With enough practice 135 power factor ammo can be very controllable. But practice is the key.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    Just use the factory parts, and stop trying to load to exactly 125. Because you may get to a league match on a cold day, and out of the official's gun you may find you don't make factor, and get DQ'd. I run my game loads at ~130ish.
    Please note that you won't be DQ'd but your scores wouldn't count so you actually just shoot for fun/free. To the OP, there is not that much difference between a 125 factor and a 130 to 135. And if you "limp wrist" a shot, your gun wouldn't jam on you.

User

Thanks Vaal. Would it count as participation, ie will you get the points towards your dedicated status?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Grant9 View Post
    You are trying to shoot better. But trying to buy your skill. The money would be better spent on ammo and more range time.

With enough practice 135 power factor ammo can be very controllable. But practice is the key.
    This. X1000. If you gonna mod it, rather work on the tigger

User

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    Thanks Vaal. Would it count as participation, ie will you get the points towards your dedicated status?
    I am not 100% sure, but I think you would get your point.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by neilh View Post
    This. X1000. If you gonna mod it, rather work on the tigger
    Got the minus trigger bar and got my eye on a complete apex trigger....not sure if i want to spend more money on the trigger or just get a shadow...one thing i have done well since I started shooting is buying the wrong stuff.... the wrong gun...the wrong belts and holsters and mag pouches, the wrong bullets etc... I've decided to keep the 19x as my bedside gun and with the night sights and 19+1 capacity I think its perfect for that purpose...I've bought a double alpha holster and pouches so those will work with most guns that I buy down the road...time is the problem I have wrt range time and actual doing something meaning full at the range not just shooting plates down for a few hours...I try go twice a week and shoot in a competition of about 150 rounds once or twice a month...

My original school of thought was get proficient at shooting my gun in case of a SD situation and that would probably be with my bedside/carry gun.....now I seem to be spiraling towards a race gun that would be totally impractical for SD.....

User

Quote Originally Posted by M80BHP View Post
    Got the minus trigger bar and got my eye on a complete apex trigger....not sure if i want to spend more money on the trigger or just get a shadow...one thing i have done well since I started shooting is buying the wrong stuff.... the wrong gun...the wrong belts and holsters and mag pouches, the wrong bullets etc...
    The more I practice with my Shadow the better I get with it and at the same time I get better with my Glocks. The more I practice with the Glocks the better I get with them and with the Shadow. And that is with standard triggers on both Glocks (but 1 with a minus connector combined with a stronger firing pin spring to stay above 5 Lbs and the other with a stock one).

User

Quote Originally Posted by Vaal View Post
    The more I practice with my Shadow the better I get with it and at the same time I get better with my Glocks. The more I practice with the Glocks the better I get with them and with the Shadow. And that is with standard triggers on both Glocks (but 1 with a minus connector combined with a stronger firing pin spring to stay above 5 Lbs and the other with a stock one).
    You don’t need to be above 5lb’s anymore

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast