Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Default Re: Home defense revolver for my wife

Quote Originally Posted by Skaaphaas View Post
    Were you in a particularly shitty squad?
    #savage

User

Reqad what SSP said. If it doesnt sink in, keep reading it until it does.

Revolvers are as outdated as taking a horse and buggy to work.

The fact that they're easy to make go bang is not the same as easy to shoot. Because they aren't, especially snubbies.

If you keep it loaded you don't have to worry about loading it. Which isn't an issue with anyone with the hand strength to shoot a revolver and about five minutes of instruction. And I'm pretty confident that your more likely to run out of ammo with no fight stopping hits with a revolver, if you're this untrained no interest user who gets advised these stupid things, than you are to have to clear a malfunction with a well maintained quality pistol.

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

And that Big T, is why I have revolvers, love shooting them. Are fast and accurate with them. But I cannot get myself to carry one for everyday SD work. The risk to myself is too huge.

User

They're lovely toys. Like 22 Bolt guns and black powder. They're just not logical defensive choices in 2019 SA.

User

I didn't notice anyone shittier than me so it was a good squad by my standards

User

Mark shot a lovely GP100 this weekend ;)

User

Quote Originally Posted by Adoons View Post
    And that Big T, is why I have revolvers, love shooting them. Are fast and accurate with them. But I cannot get myself to carry one for everyday SD work. The risk to myself is too huge.
    Preach it!!

Might I add some more thinking points for you:
    Revolvers are awesome. I've owned a number of them. Shot them in competition quite a bit. Performance and longevity usually = expensive. I've owned a few throughout the spectrum (Freedom Arms, Colt, SW, Rossi and even a Taurus). I have kept some till today, BUT will never rely on one for any defensive situation.

Even the expensive ones (or sometimes especially them), can be finicky. I’ve seen some spectacular malfunctions e.g. the cylinder gets stuck when the flash gaps foul-up (gap between barrel and cylinder), or when bullets move around due to crimping or resizing issues and then cylinder can’t turn/index correctly (yes even with factory ammo).

Sure, pistols can also have failures. As with any firearm, you have to look after them, shoot them a lot and know what ammunition it prefers (or not).

In my experience, malfunctions are easier to clear in pistols than in revolvers, should you have one. Also, in my opinion, revolvers are difficult to shoot well consistently (especially the 2 inch versions). I have observed that it is more difficult for most people to “find and maintain a consistent grip” on a revolver (it is different than a grip on a pistol e.g. thumbs forward on a Snubby can lead to some bloody fingers). As with any firearm, training is key.

In my opinion, you definitely have alternatives more suited to your intended application.

My 2 cents:
    1.) Take your lady to the range and let her get comfortable shooting a firearm (your G19 should do fine);
    2.) If the range has test pistols, let her try a couple;
    3.) Save for the right tool, rather than buy "a bargain revolver" - they usually never are;
    4.) Let her co-license your G19 (if you have to wait to save for an additional firearm);
    5.) Train, train, train (even if you decide to get a shotgun)
    6.) Enjoy the ride!!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6