Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Banned

Default AIWB causing pain in slender EDCers?

Over the last few weeks and months a few thin folks have crossed my path who have claimed that they can not carry AIWB because it hurts.

It seems that the pressure of the holster on the pubic bone, or on the tissue between the navel and the hip bone, causes internal pain.

It is more than chafing on the skin - it seems really to effect folks to a point that they willingly switch to another carry position.

The complaints occured with different types of holsters: leather, webbing and kydex.

Any advice or explanation appreciated!

User

Default Re: AIWB causing pain in slender EDCers?

Did they use a proper AIWB holster, or did they just switch a common IWB holster to the appendix position?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    Did they use a proper AIWB holster, or did they just switch a common IWB holster to the appendix position?
    In one case, the person had a proper AIWB holster which hurt him.

In another case, the person could not even get the gun into a carrying position with the firearm wrapped in soft cloth.

User

Ds J.
    I've been on the QC Chamelean2 (with wedge and claw) since Feb this year.
    I won't classify myself as "thin folk" and am blessed with some built-in padding.
    When I still carried IWB hip (3-4) I use to really crank my belt to make everything feel comfortable and secure, but with the AIWB it is more comfortable to slip the belt a notch or two (and still feel that everything is secure).
    Although I am almost always aware of the wedge (especially when sitting/driving or bending over), because there is a bit more room to maneuver it does not really chew into me and does not cause discomfort or pain.

User

This is where I say a properly designed American made holster will work way better than our local stuff. Yeah yeah you can be all pro SA holsters all you want the fact is especially considering AIWB I don't think any local guys make anything worth while to even consider.

Now with that said and avoiding the eventual hate mail.

AIWB requires you to mess around with the holster a fuck ton before it gets comfy enough. Minute changes can mean the difference between an OMG get this thing off me and a I don't even know I have a gun.

Also some holsters simply won't work for you it's the way AIWB is.

It took me around 5 month of fiddling with my Eidolon to eventually get it comfortable. At first it was the most painful annoying thing on planet earth.

Now I feel Appendix will never truly disappear you will always bump into it or it will always remind you where you gun is but with a good holster it's doable.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Grant9 View Post
    This is where I say a properly designed American made holster will work way better than our local stuff. Yeah yeah you can be all pro SA holsters all you want the fact is especially considering AIWB I don't think any local guys make anything worth while to even consider.

Now with that said and avoiding the eventual hate mail.

AIWB requires you to mess around with the holster a fuck ton before it gets comfy enough. Minute changes can mean the difference between an OMG get this thing off me and a I don't even know I have a gun.

Also some holsters simply won't work for you it's the way AIWB is.

It took me around 5 month of fiddling with my Eidolon to eventually get it comfortable. At first it was the most painful annoying thing on planet earth.

Now I feel Appendix will never truly disappear you will always bump into it or it will always remind you where you gun is but with a good holster it's doable.
    Agreed. I haven't seen a locally made AIWB holster that actually has the needed bumps, swells and pads.

My go to is JM Custom holsters.

User

Proper holster, GTG. And a proper holster does not need to have all sorts of stuff sticking out, but it must have:
    1. Straight drop (PERHAPS even a bit of muzzle-forward cant?)
    2. A mechanism to pull the grip into your waist (i.e. a "claw" type thing)
    3. Secure ride on the belt

A repositioned strong-side holster or a gun wrapped in a cloth has none of these. I died a little bit from discomfort whenever I tried a strong-side holster for AIWB. then I got purpose-made ones last year (QC Chameleon V1 for my 9c and QC Covert for the Shield) and suddenly AIWB became way more comfy than strong-side, and I switched completely. And I definitely qualify as being on the slender side of the scale (~30" waist after a few good steaks).

Personally I never needed to mess around with a helluva lot of holsters, or do continuous adjustment to get comfortable. I got my holsters just before last years hunt, stuck the Shield in the Covert and walked 16km a day with a backpack and a hunting rifle slung over my shoulder (could not have done that comfortably with my old strong-side hybrid holster). Lying prone on all kinds of pokey rocks never presented an issue with the pistol contributing to any discomfort. This year the whole scenario repeated (sans the backpack and long hikes)...

Although I EDC the 9c in the (V1) Chameleon, I often wonder if the Covert isn't the better holster...

User

I am "relatively" tall and slender and have managed to manage my waistline circumference - so far.

I have only ever carried AIWB and I have found that my G26 is way more comfortable to carry than my G19, but regardless, my 19 is still my preferred carry, because it is easier to shoot better.

I have accepted that there are comfort limitations with EDCing any pistol and I have accepted that if I say crouch down on my haunches, e.g. to tie my laces, that this will be very uncomfortable, but something that I will grin and bear for the moment.

Sitting in a chair, at a desk or in a vehicle, is easy enough.

I'm currently using the same Quantum Covert with claw for both pistols.

I previously used Daniels holsters and the difference was much of a muchness.

I must say that I have always been primarily more concerned about concealment than comfort, although comfort is important.

User

I am over 6ft tall and weigh 75kg. Slender and no beep. I use an Army and sergeant holster. Carry appendix all day long. Only issue I have is that my belt is not ideal. Need to get a stronger one.

Quote Originally Posted by Electroal View Post
    I am over 6ft tall and weigh 75kg. Slender and no beep. I use an Army and sergeant holster. Carry appendix all day long. Only issue I have is that my belt is not ideal. Need to get a stronger one.
    I use the Army Ant EDC belt, the one with velcro and no buckle. I'm Also on the slender side and since using that belt, I cannot change back. Having no buckle and being able to adjust the tightness to my preferred condition makes a big difference in my concealment.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast