Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Section 16 Handgun license

I'm in the process of applying for a section 16 Handgun license for sportshooting.
    I'm a first time gun owner, and bought a G19 Gen4.

There is no real reason I did not go for the Section 13 license, other than I will not be daily carrying the firearm for personal reasons etc.

Should I do decide to daily carry, what limitations do I have on a section 16 license for the firearm?
    What if I go away for the weekend and carry my G19 with me, and I get pulled over, or stopped by an officer of the law, or even going to the range with the firearm on my hip or concealed?

User

Default Re: Section 16 Handgun license

Quote Originally Posted by hennels View Post
    Should I do decide to daily carry, what limitations do I have on a section 16 license for the firearm?
    What if I go away for the weekend and carry my G19 with me, and I get pulled over, or stopped by an officer of the law, or even going to the range with the firearm on my hip or concealed?
    None at all...as long as it's covered, under your direct control etc (obviously keeping the licence readily available for inspection if called upon) ... and you use it where safe and lawful.

Don't let anyone tell you different.

User

As a first time gun owner, how did you acquire S16? I gather shot that same 19 in competition somehow?

User

Quote Originally Posted by neilh View Post
    As a first time gun owner, how did you acquire S16? I gather shot that same 19 in competition somehow?
    I've not acquired anything yet... I've just bought the firearm on Tuesday. I'm going to a club on Saturday to sign up, and will be paying a company to do motivations etc on my behalf. Is this the wrong approach? Is S16 not possible to obtain unless you have shot the pistol you already own?

You first need dedicated status from an accredited organisation before you can licence under Section 16 - Dedicated Hunting or Sport Shooting.

You can go S15.

Or 13, which I think is preferable in your case.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

I believe you can obtain Dedicated status without owning a firearm.
    If for example you join NHSA online.
    And you do the Dedicated test with them.
    And go to a range and even use someone else firearm supervised to shoot a couple of sessions.
    And send in the targets as required by them.
    You ca obtain dedicated status without owning a firearm.

They even have the option where a 14 year old can dedicated status.
    As long as they do test and provide shooting evidence.

You will need to obtain this status. Before submitting app though.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Skaaphaas View Post
    You first need dedicated status from an accredited organisation before you can licence under Section 16 - Dedicated Hunting or Sport Shooting.

You can go S15.

Or 13, which I think is preferable in your case.
    Perhaps I read wrong, I was probably thinking of 15 then? I've just read the section on saps.gov.za.

• Supporting documents for sports shooting:
      • Proof of participating in sports shooting
      • Written proof of discipline of sports shooting in which the applicant wishes to participate in
      • Proof of belonging to a sports shooting association, club or organisation
      • Success achieved in sports shooting activities
      • Detailed motivation regarding his/her interest in sports shooting.

How would I obtain the above without a firearm, then?
    If going to Section 13, is crimstats etc in your area not taken into account? I'm new to this whole thing, and I'm looking at paying a company to do the motivation etc. I want to get into the sport, but unsure where to begin?

User

The biggest thing here, on whichever license, I want/need the firearm licensed, and I don't know where to begin. I'm going to KSA (Kraaifontein Shooting Club) this weekend and will apply for membership and do Competency etc through them, seems like the best place to start?

Section 13 is not very difficult to motivate.
    As crime is high. So you merely need to put this in words.
    That you firearm will be to protect you and your family from possible attacks that could e life threatening.

If you join a registered shooting range. You will not allways be able to get dedicated status just through them.
    You could with them opt for Occasional Sport Person. Saying you want to shoot regularly and compete now and again.
    As most ranges only provide the shooting facility. You need then also belong to a sports boddy for example IDPA or other to obtain status through them.

My advise if your not going to actively shoot a sport like IDPA, IPSC or Pins.
    But mainly going to shoot and practice on your own. And maybe take part occasionally in a comp at a club for practice.
    Go look at www.natshoot.co.za

I belong to CTSASA for Clay Pigeon dedication as I actively compete in clay shooting.
    But also belong to Natshoot. Where I submit every shoot i do or practice I do online.
    They keep record off all of it. Which counts towards your dedication.
    Even if you attend a Sport Expo or Training course you can upload it. And it counts.

Quote Originally Posted by hennels View Post
    I'm in the process of applying for a section 16 Handgun license for sportshooting.
    I'm a first time gun owner, and bought a G19 Gen4.

There is no real reason I did not go for the Section 13 license, other than I will not be daily carrying the firearm for personal reasons etc.

To answer your question; it is legal to carry a handgun licensed under section 15/16 daily according to sections 15(4) and 16(3) for the Act.

However, if you are a first time gun owner, there is no benefit in licensing your first firearm under section 16. Firstly, you need dedicated status to do that. Dedicated status is something given to you by an accredited association after you comply to their requirements. Secondly, dedicated status is something you must maintain, again by complying to your chosen association’s requirements. Typically that means competing, or at least shooting, enough times per year. If you fail to maintain your dedicated status your association will report this fact to the authorities and you might lose your license (I’m not sure how the process works exactly, but this is close enough to the truth).

Apply for you license under section 13 or 15. Under section 13 your license will be valid for 5 years irrespective whether you use it or not. A section 15 license will be valid for 10 years, and to renew it you probably only needed to use it a couple of times.

You might wonder then when a section 16 license is worth it then. The answer is to license more than 4 firearms or if you need a self-loading firearm, other than a handgun, then you need to apply for a section 16 license.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast