Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: Tri-pods vs Bi-pods

I have a Primos Trigger stick tripod. It is a dream to shoot off and easy to use.

I walk out in the veld with it already extended for a standing shot. This makes deployment easier and also if I want to take a sitting or kneeling shot it is quick to retract the legs.

I would really recommend them.

Be forewarned that a slight knock on one of the legs can cause it to struggle to deploy that leg without a little help.

User

In terms of shooting sticks, I had a bipod, then bought a bogpod tripod. Much more stable than the bipod. Both need practise at the range though.

User

Quote Originally Posted by iB.PoPo View Post
    I have a Primos Trigger stick tripod. It is a dream to shoot off and easy to use.

I walk out in the veld with it already extended for a standing shot. This makes deployment easier and also if I want to take a sitting or kneeling shot it is quick to retract the legs.

I would really recommend them.

Be forewarned that a slight knock on one of the legs can cause it to struggle to deploy that leg without a little help.
    They are probably fine for someone who spend a week or two a year hunting but they are simply not capable of surviving the amount of hunting we do. We work in a very dusty environment and spend 200 - 300 days a year hunting. I have moved on to a home made tripod with solid (non adjustable) legs. Much stabler from any position than an adjustable bipod and you do not end up fighting with a tripod leg when you should be shooting.

Used stable stix last year. Also a quad concept. Was much more stable than the tripod primos I had before.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

User

A bipod is your best all around bet, especially if shooting from prone. Get a 6"-9" for shooting from prone or the shooting bench. Get a Harris BRM-S if available...it is the best value for money. If you are shooting comps, target etc you could go for the Atlas, GG&G or other but at over $200 these are by no means cheap. I like the notched legs and the podlock lever chingadingus for tightening. You can see that in the 2nd image from the top.....sticking out at the back of the bipod.

If you might need to sit when using a bipod....such as in tall grass, you can get one with taller legs.....like a 13-27" or so.

Of course, as mentioned...shooting sticks are an option too.

Shooting from a tripod is way fun and very stable when set on low or medium height. To lock the rifle into the tripod..... I bought a HOG Saddle from Shadow Tech that works fantastic with my Slik tripod on low and medium and with my more beefy Velbon aluminum tripod fully extended. The Slik is a bit bendy fully extended what with those skinny legs. Maybe with a light rifle it would be less noticeable.

The HOG Saddle is the way to go if using a tripod.....and make sure you have a ball head on the tripod.

For your perusal:

The HOG Saddle....pricey but worth it.

Fully low......for prone, or from the bench.....

Medium low.....for sitting or kneeling....

Full extended.....standing....

BTW......I would not walk away from a loaded rifle in the tripod at full extend like that. As it was I was ready to make a mad dash if it got the wobbles. It balances well and will sit like that all day....but a slight bump or wind gust etc....earth tremor what have you....and it could get ugly, even unsafe. It was just for the photo and the rifle is unloaded/no round chambered etc.

The cons of using a tripod is carting that stuff around...even worse if on a hunt. It's not the end of the world, the weight is not too bad it is mostly the added bulk to your kit...... and if you are shooting stills or video also, with a QD mount it can double as your camera tripod-quick on and off of either the HOG saddle or the camera. But it is still extra stuff to lug around, pack etc whereas the bipod would stay attached to the rifle.

If it's mostly for range work.....not a problem.

Anyway, just some thoughts for what it's worth...hope it helps you make your decision.

Hey guys. Thanks for all the advice. I see what most people are saying is that you need to shoot with a few. Find what you like and practice with that.
    I'll do that. I've got some time before hunting season starts. I am leaning towards a tripod will see if the trigger system is worth the money. Or a real Bush home made set up.thank again.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2