User

Default MTAC - new user tip.

It is has been posted by a few users that the retention on their MTAC's was too much and they found it difficult to draw the pistol which I could not understand with my experience of the MTACs I have in use (about 4 different ones for different pistols).

I replaced the kydex half body on one of my MTACs this year because I modified the Glock half body on the holster to accept another pistol which I wanted to try for EDC and that did not work our for me.

With the replacement of the half body for my Gen 1 MTAC Glock model I however experienced the increased retention and grab on the pistol when drawing. I experimented a lot with belt and screw retention on the holster untill I realised what caused the resistance on the draw for some people and some holsters imo.

It seems to me the issue can occur with a tight fitting new holster when the user inadvertently twists the butt end or grip of the pistol slightly out and away form the body on the draw stroke which results in the trigger guard of the pistol being forced harder into the trigger guard retention dimple in the kydex half body.

I found that with drawing straight up or even very slightly pressing in, towards the body, on the butt end of the grip will make the draw stroke very smooth and fast.
    Last edited by DS; 09-05-2015 at 08:40.

User

Default Re: MTAC - new user tip.

how do you know which generation mtac you have? absolutely no problem in mine, so prob not the same as yours?

User

The Gen1 has a norrower sweat guard than the Gen2 and very slightly different positioning of the forward mounting screws of the half body.

I have had 2 or 3 queries in the past about "too much" retention and did not experience it in 4 different holsters I use untill I replaced the one half body.

Maybe most users draw straight up anyway and do not cant outwards on the butt during the draw.

User

Thanks, will also try this since I am finding the same with my mtac that I replaced the half body.

I had to make one screwhole in the back to fit the new halfbody and have experienced this issue.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Arnold View Post
    Thanks, will also try this since I am finding the same with my mtac that I replaced the half body.

I had to make one screwhole in the back to fit the new halfbody and have experienced this issue.
    Please let me know if this works for you as well.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Khumba View Post

I found that with drawing straight up or even very slightly pressing in, towards the body, on the butt end of the grip will make the draw stroke very smooth and fast.
    I had no problems drawing from my old MTAC paddle, but found that the new one hooked up a bit.
    After much practice I discovered exactly this.
    If I draw anything less than extremely straight up it is a problem, so I had to practice that change.

User

I just want a lhc m&p Mtac :(