User

Default Leupold Fx-Ii 2.5x28 Scout Rifle Scope, Duplex Reticle

Good day members.
    Please be so kind as to give me your opinion regarding the Leupold Fx-Ii 2.5x28 Scout Rifle Scope, Duplex Reticle, Matte Black, I build a .375 H&H Coggswell & Harrison in a scout scope configuration. The scope will be fitted onto a quarter rib in front of the magazine. I would like to know what members think about this scope . Especially members who used this scope himself? I need to purchase a scope with long eye relief for the .375 H&H Magnum rifle . I would prefer a Leopold scope..
    Here are two photos of the quarter rib where I will attache the scope , the work on the rifle is completed a while ago but is still in the white. I still need to blue it and hand the stock in for checkkering ...
    Keep in mind this is a .375 H&H Magnum, I need to know if this scope will take the recoil dished out by this rifle? In the top photo the Leopold 1.5x5 x 20 is currently on my 404 Jeffery...it did not give me the long eye relief I needed...

User

Default Re: Leupold Fx-Ii 2.5x28 Scout Rifle Scope, Duplex Reticle

I have played with the concept a few times, but never got around to building my own "scout rifle". What follows is from my limited research.

The "scout scope" was built at the instigation of Col. Jeff Cooper for his Scout Rifle concept. The idea was that it should be lightweight, tough as nails and useable with both eyes open. Apparently, the 2,75x magnification is the max that you can use while looking at the target with both eyes. Mounting it with the occular lens forward of the front receiver ring, is supposed to lessen the obstruction of your field of view and speed up target aquisition. The scope also allows unhidered access to the mag well from the top, facilitating faster reloads.

All the same advantages can be gained by mounting a red dot sight in the same place, except there is no magnification. This might be even better for a DG rifle. The possibility of the electronics failing in a RDS is obviously the big disadvantage.

Another good use for the scout scope is on a lever action rifle with top ejection. These make mounting a normal scope a pain.

Being a fixed magnification, I am sure that the scope is one of the toughest that Leupold has ever made. My somewhat similar 2x LER handgun scope has taken some heavy punches while shooting hunting loads on a 44M revolver. This is allegedly more abusive that what a 375 - 458 rifle can do to a scope. A variable magnification scope has many more parts that can move or fail under recoil.

Sourcing a scout scope locally can prove a challenge. You might need to have it imported. Burris also made some scout scopes, but I would stick to Leupold.

Gert,

I had the Leupold VX3 1.5-5X20mm on my .375. I have never had a problem but it gave my boet a gently kiss above the eye .... no blood.

Cheers
    One too many wasted sunsets and one too many for the road .........

User

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Leigh View Post
    Gert,

I had the Leupold VX3 1.5-5X20mm on my .375. I have never had a problem but it gave my boet a gently kiss above the eye .... no blood.

Cheers
    Same VX3 1.5-5x20mm on my 416 Rigby, no problems.

User

Andrew/Steve, I concur, the Leopold V111, 1.5-5x 20 is a great scope, it is currently on my 404 Jeffery, I did hunt with it recently. It is to me a great scope for a big bore rifle ....in this case I need to use the Scout scope Leopold Fx-Li 2.5x28 ...I want to purchase the scout scope , relative will bring it from the USA. This is why I would like to hear form members regarding this scout scope and if they have used one .
    A-R, I think Jeff Cooper had a great idea about the scout configuration...

Leopold confirm in an online question session that it is OK for a 45/70 which can have the same recoil as a .375 depending on the load.
    One too many wasted sunsets and one too many for the road .........

User

Quote Originally Posted by Gert Odendaal View Post
    Andrew/Steve, I concur, the Leopold V111, 1.5-5x 20 is a great scope, it is currently on my 404 Jeffery, I did hunt with it recently. It is to me a great scope for a big bore rifle ....in this case I need to use the Scout scope Leopold Fx-Li 2.5x28 ...I want to purchase the scout scope , relative will bring it from the USA. This is why I would like to hear form members regarding this scout scope and if they have used one .
    A-R, I think Jeff Cooper had a great idea about the scout configuration...
    Just checking if you are aware of ITAR regulations? Could land your family member in a world of pain if they are caught with the scope and don't have the necessary permits.

User

My daughter's hunting rifle is a Marlin 30-30 with a Leupold Scout Scope set up in a scout rifle configuration. This little rifle has taken its share of Georgia Whitetail deer. It is light and handy. She knows the rifle thoroughly and shoots it well. I plan to train her husband on this rifle when they visit at Christmas, hopefully, he will take another view on having firearms in their home.

Sportster