Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Scope for 308

User

Default Re: Scope for 308

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    In my experience this makes a huge difference at close range especially on moving animals.
    I am trying to picture your hunting technique, moving animals at close range.
    Maybe you should go back to irons sights, scopes is not for you :)

My closest shot this season was a running warthog at 14 paces (I shot several at under 30 paces), the furthest a wounded gemsbok at almost six hundred, both shots were made with the same rifle and scope :) I do not normally shoot at game past 400 metres no matter what rifle or scope I'm using.

The area where I hunt consist of open plains, mountains and thick riverine bush, you can literally have a 300m+ shot at a springbok and 20 minutes later shoot a warthog or kudu at 20 meters. I removed the 6.5-20 from my Creedmoor a month ago, because I keep missing opportunities at close range that would have been easy with a 3x scope. I replaced the 6.5-20 with a 3-18x44, I think that it might be very suitable for almost any hunting and gong shooting.

To get back to the OP's question, I would take a close look at the Leupold 3.5-10x40 VX-3i, with the CDS elevation turret. It is a good scope which should be in his price range.

User

This is what I tried to preach the other day in another thread if you remember, in modern scopes it’s not the magnification that is so wonderful, it’s the magnification ratio that is highly beneficial.

The other day I tried to explain to people that a 3-18 can simply do a lot more than a 3-9, you can hunt up close just the same and shoot gongs or identify animals out far if needs be.

But, advice, and personal preference, you know, people differ :)

User

The 2.5-15 Lynx is one I believe to cover most of SA hunters needs, nothing you cannot hunt with that.

User

I have to say I can’t wait to get home (currently on holiday ) to shoot the .270 with the Vortex 6.5-20

I was looking into shooting long range and was looking at the Vortex viper PST which is 6-25 I think.

At the time this was a really expensive option for me and I did a bit of research. A lot of the shooters then were saying that the Vortex PST with 16x was the max they were using and getting great results. So perhaps something 4-16x may be better.

Go to the gun shop with all this and choose what works best for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User

PduPreez...Your original question...what scope for hunting and targets out to 500m.

I had the exact same problem with the purchase of a 6.5 Creed a year ago.

I do a lot of hunting for multiple species in varied terrain where shots can litterally be from under 10m out to as far as you ethically dare. I have never ever,not even once felt the need to move from a scope with a magnification range of more than 3-9 power.I walk with the scope on 3 power and this is suitable for close,quick shots and moving animals. Yes moving,as in running.....open terrain,under 100 or so meters and a running shot is comfortable. Please,i know the ethics involved and only get on the trigger on a running animal if i am sure of the shot.
    If i come on an animal that is out further,i have time to move the magnification up before i shoot.
    The scopes are simple,not much to think about and do not have an external parallax adjustment which i believe [believed ?] is a total cock up on a hunting scope.

Anyway,for the Creed i settled on a Lynx LX3 2.5-15x50 with the SA Hunters reticle. Shots on gongs out to 500m are boringly simple with more than enough magnification...no problem there.
    With hunting,i walk with the scope on 3 power and the parallax set to 50m...again,fine for fast and close shots. Again,further out,you normally have time to up the magnification and set parallax.I marked the parallax knob boldly with Tippex correction fluid...1 dot 100m,2 dots 200m and so on so a quick downward glance tells me where i am.I have shot a few animals at various distances with this set up...it requires just a bit more fiddling,but works.

User

I just want to thank everyone for the replies. I will still wait for a while for the license, so I will save until I get the license and buy then the scope, so will still keep reading the comments and decide hat to buy when I receive the license.

Talking Re: Scope for 308

Hello everybody!
    Thank you everyone for sharing your thoughts.
    I am now in the process of buying a scope for my .308
    and i will be hunting mainly in the bushveld, like thabazimbi, bela-bela, Mussina, ellisras etc.

What is the conclusion?
    Can all of you please tell me the 3 best options for the bushveld.
    Most people say you do not need more than a
    3-9x40 scope.
    I dont want to spend more than R10k, because i dont think you need to?
    I am lost and dont know what to buy.
    I will appreciate your honest opinions.
    thank you
    Luke Nic
    Jhb

If I had 10k to spend on a scope, I would go with a Leupold or Vortex optic. You will still have change to use on buying ammo or reloading components. A 3-9x40 scope is more than enough for the bushveld plus works well in the plains as well.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast