User

Default Thor scope rings alignment/mounting method any good?

Hi All

I got a new scope and had to get new bases and rings. The shop used Thor bases and rings as that was the only rings available that would work with the specific rifle and scope diameter. Something I agreed to after reading here that they are good, but without physically seeing them.

I collected the gun and examined the mount. I then went back to the shop and had a look at the bases and rings out of the box to confirm. I am now concerned.

The bases seems fine and mounts securely to the receiver, but my concern is the mount of the rings to the bases. The base has a cone shaped peg sticking out of it. The rings slip over these pegs but VEERRYYY loosely with lots of travel sideways and is then only secured to the peg with 2 grub screws on either side of the ring. The grub screws determine the position (left or right) of the ring over the base.

My concerns:

1. Will these 2 grub screws be sufficient to keep the rings in place? (I am shooting a 30-06). Will the not become loose with use.
    2. How do I determine that the rings are actually aligned with the barrel/bore and not skew or even completely off to 1 side.

Am I unnecessarily concerned or will this become/be an issue. I will be shooing at no-longer ranges than 500m.

Default Re: Thor scope rings alignment/mounting method any good?

Thats the same way Lynx rings work.

Ring top goes over the Cone shape on base. Then you secure those two grub screws.

When aligning scope. Use bore sighter and first align with these grub screws to center scope. Tighten and leave.

I had my old lynx scope on my 308 for over 10 years. Thsoe crub screws never came loose.

Now fitted a new Lynx LX. and new rings. But they fit the same way

User

I've never had a problem with that design of mounts. I have had or still have them on an assortment of .22's, a 223, a 303, a 7x64 and I've used a 300 Winmag with them. Never a problem.

As an aside, I learnt a year or 2 back that the design of those mounts is actually a Tasco deisgn. Lynx of Australia then started manufacturing them, next Lynx South Africa and Thor.

Lynx Australia, Lynx South Africa & Thor rings & mounts all seem to be fully interchangeable with one another. I've never had a chance to test out the original Tasco ones.

Follow shooty's advice above but I would centre the reticle in the scope before using a bore sighter to align the scope with the barrel. Easy to do buy turning the turret as far as it will go in one direction, then turn in the other direction counting how many turns until it comes to a stop. Divide by 2 and turn back that many turns/clicks.

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

Don't be concerned. They work. Never found them to come loose. Have that system on a 30-06 and .44 Mag Lever Gun.

Fasten the base to the rifle. Drop the bottom part of the rings over the pegs. Put the scope in the rings and make sure all align. (Scope must be centered.) Look through the barrel or over it and make a mark on a distant wall or object. Fasten the grub screws from both sides a bit at a time. Align the scope with the your mark. Fit the top halves of the rings, get the scope upright to your liking and fasten.

If you do it incorrectly you will easily see alignment is out in any case.

User

No need to worry. I've had a set of Lynx bases and rings on a .300 win mag for 20 years and my wife's 7x57 has been wearing a set of the same design you described for more than 30 years. Never had any problems.

User

Tx to all who replied/send me their comments.

Also locktite. Gives extra piece of mind. Dont use too much though it's a PITA IF you have to unscrew them in future and looks messy.

Quote Originally Posted by Snapcap View Post
    Also locktite. Gives extra piece of mind. Dont use too much though it's a PITA IF you have to unscrew them in future and looks messy.
    If you do this. Very little and the blue color one only. As red is made not to loosen again.