Thread: FACT or FICTION

User

Default FACT or FICTION

I came across this article when browsing on the web. I wonder how many people believe this stories when you look at the calibers involved

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/jose-...b03fc3ee4fcf8e

Officer’s Life Saved When He Shoots Bullet Directly Into Suspect’s gun.

It was a one in a "billion" shot

A Colorado sheriff’s deputy who was under attack by robbers likely owes his life to a one-in-a-billion shot he fired at one of the suspects. Incredibly, the bullet went down the barrel of the suspect’s gun and rendered the weapon temporarily inoperable, according to the Denver Channel. On Wednesday, Jefferson County sheriff’s deputy Jose Marquez was officially cleared of any wrongdoing in the shooting, which happened in January during his off-duty hours.

Marquez stepped outside his girlfriend’s apartment in Arapahoe County that day to get something from his car. As he walked back, two young men with face masks told him to “give it up,” and at least one of them pulled out a pistol, according to the Aurora Sentinel. Marquez, a 10-year veteran of the department, was shot in the chest and abdomen multiple times before one of the suspects ran away. But he managed to open fire and shoot the other suspect, Jhalil Meshesha, in the leg.

Another bullet from Marquez’s .45-caliber handgun went straight into the barrel of Meshesha’s pistol. “It ... actually hit Meshesha’s .40-caliber handgun and traveled down the barrel, colliding with a cartridge that was in the chamber of the gun,”

according to a letter written by Arapahoe County Deputy District Attorney Rich Orman to Jefferson County Sheriff Jeff Shrader and Aurora Police Chief Nick Metz. Matt Ingui, the investigating detective, described the shot as a “one in a billion thing,” according to KDVR.com. Prosecutors said Marquez acted appropriately when, believing his life to be in danger, he shot his gun. He will not be charged in the shooting, according to the Denver Channel. The bullets that hit Marquez damaged his intestines, colon and liver and caused fractured ribs. Although he is currently not on duty, sheriff’s spokesman Mark Techmeyer told the Denver Post that the department is “still hopeful for a full recovery.”

Default Re: FACT or FICTION

I can not remember the precise details but in the British war museum there is a 303 rifle that shows that a bullet fired from the German side went into the barrel. If you consider how many rounds were fired from each side the chance of something like this happening is very slim.

User

Quote Originally Posted by knipmes View Post
    I can not remember the precise details but in the British war museum there is a 303 rifle that shows that a bullet fired from the German side went into the barrel. If you consider how many rounds were fired from each side the chance of something like this happening is very slim.
    Well in this case, if you consider that the German soldier was most likely aiming at the person behind the 303, and most of him was covered by whatever he could find to take cover behind, then sooner or later a rifle will be hit. Hitting it in the center of the muzzle is slightly less common, but it is there where the bullets are aimed at.

There is also the story of gunnery sergeant Carlos Hathcock who shot an enemy (VC) sniper through his scope and into the eye...

User

Hmm, I wonder: how would a .45 caliber bullet be able to travel a couple of inches in a .40 barrel? Other way around maybe.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Vaal View Post
    Hmm, I wonder: how would a .45 caliber bullet be able to travel a couple of inches in a .40 barrel? Other way around maybe.
    It easily deforms on impact. It is only 1,35mm larger and made of fairly soft metals. Try shooting a 45 cal bullet at a 10mm hole drilled through a steel plate. I would not want to stand behind that plate...

User

Both the bullet down a barrel and the bullet through a scope were tested on Mythbusters. They could get the bullet down a barrel to work nicely but had trouble replicating the shot through the scope.