User

Default Anyone Able to help with Rifle Info - Mauser & BRNO

I am trying to assist a friend with some info on rifles (Safe Queens) he has. And it seems my Google FU is broken.

So if you can assist with info it will be great & appreciated.

Rifle 1:
    • BRNO .222
    • Markings on Chamber - 1 0x-MOD.2, BRNO ARMS stamped out.
    • I can't make out the Gunsmith/Manufacturer markings. Just look like giberish.

Rifle 2:
    • Mauser .308 W
    • Markings on Barrel: M300-424 and what looks like Buck Horns with a T in the center
    • Markings on Chamber: Buck Horns with T in center, and the word IMPALA stamped out.

User

Default Re: Anyone Able to help with Rifle Info - Mauser & BRNO

User

The BRNO is exactly as it says on the action, a Fox Mod 2. The squiggles are the BRNO faftory (or perhaps Czech proofinghouse, I can't quite remember) proof marks. My ZKK has the same, on the barrel and on the action.

The "Mauser" is def not a K98 action (absence of thumb cutout just in front of bolt release) butlooks to be a Musgrave Mod80/83, perhaps? The Springbok Horn proof marks are South African. "Impala" may be a special run made for someone (like the made the Sentraal-Wes run of Mod 80s)

User

I would love to see more of that 308 if possible please, even if you pm me. (https://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/sho...e)-Impala-7-62 )

User

Quote Originally Posted by curious george View Post
    I would love to see more of that 308 if possible please, even if you pm me. (https://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/sho...e)-Impala-7-62 )
    To OP, please post more pix of the rifle on this thread, would be very interesting to get to see the whole thing.

User

I only have 1 or 2 more pics. Not great at all.

I will go take better pics next week.

Thx for feedback so far.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    The BRNO is exactly as it says on the action, a Fox Mod 2. The squiggles are the BRNO faftory (or perhaps Czech proofinghouse, I can't quite remember) proof marks. My ZKK has the same, on the barrel and on the action.

The "Mauser" is def not a K98 action (absence of thumb cutout just in front of bolt release) butlooks to be a Musgrave Mod80/83, perhaps? The Springbok Horn proof marks are South African. "Impala" may be a special run made for someone (like the made the Sentraal-Wes run of Mod 80s)
    Yep, the Brno as it says it is, made in 1973.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    Apologies.... yes it is a Musgrave. No wonder my Google searches yielded no results.

Thinking about 1 thing typing another

User

Hey mtaute! Long time no see.

I concur with Pirate & Spudattack.

Brno Fox & Fox 2 are fantastic little rifles. Fox (American nomenclature) is also known as ZKW465 (most of the rest of the world). Came in 22 hornet & .222. Fox 2 maybe came in .223 but I'd have to look it up, might also be a couple of other chamberings that I can't remember.

On the "Mauser" I have a vague recollection of Impala being certain grade of gun over a particular time period in Musgrave's history. If you look on Jaracal.com there is a whole board dedicated to Musgrave rifles, you'll find the answer there.

https://www.jaracal.com/viewforum.php?f=141

User

Thanks Mr B.

Will read up on Jaracal site.

I also suspect a barrel inspection on both rifles will be needed. Luckily I have a mate with barrel camera.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk