Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default FA Amnesty 2020/2021 question

Refer to the attached amnesty declaration.
    Can I under the amnesty regulations hand in a FA with a expired white licence card (not mine) as illegal in my possession, and then apply to licence it for myself?
    Current owner of expired FA not interested to go through the schlep and pain to do a new licence application.

The declaration is very cryptic and I cannot determine whether is allowed or not allowed.

User

Default Re: FA Amnesty 2020/2021 question

OK so here's the thing.

The white licence is no longer valid (says SAPS). The firearm is unlicenced and illegal (says SAPS). So how can it matter who hands it in for licencing?

If your expired white licence has no standing (says SAPS) then whether you have the expired white licence or I have the expired white licence makes no difference.

W

User

Quote Originally Posted by wrm View Post
    OK so here's the thing.

The white licence is no longer valid (says SAPS). The firearm is unlicenced and illegal (says SAPS). So how can it matter who hands it in for licencing?

If your expired white licence has no standing (says SAPS) then whether you have the expired white licence or I have the expired white licence makes no difference.

W
    Exactly how I see it, but will SAPS (DFO) also see it in this way ?

Anyone who has done a similar thing under the previous amnesty ?

User

My apologies upfront I didn't read the attached declaration because I'm on my phone but I read snippets from the past amnesty period recently. There they stipulate that only the expired license holder can reapply for the firearm. I wanted to ask my DFO because they had earlier said they would allow me to return it and my son apply for it...

Quote Originally Posted by uNokhenke View Post
    My apologies upfront I didn't read the attached declaration because I'm on my phone but I read snippets from the past amnesty period recently. There they stipulate that only the expired license holder can reapply for the firearm. I wanted to ask my DFO because they had earlier said they would allow me to return it and my son apply for it...
    Thanks that need clearing up urgently I think, also interested to obtain a friend's expired firearm by applying for it, now in serious doubt.

User

Screenshot_20200805-181712_Drive.jpg

That's the point that got me hit what if you surrender someone else's firearm with an expired license?

User

I may be missing something, but I don’t see anything said about the previous license holder. I see it said that ‘only the person why physically surrendered the firearm’ may apply for a licence. As I read that, it doesn’t matter who held the licence, only who surrendered the FA.

With the previous amnesty a friend om mine relicenced a rifle in his name that had a expired white license. He is not the original license holder.(app is now at provincial DFO)

He had to have the expired white license card and a statement from previous owner to declare that the rifle may be relicenced in his name under the amnesty.
    Rest of proses is same as new application.

Make sure when surrendering firearm to get proof/receit from DFO that it states it is for relicensing and not for destruction!

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

User

Must be honest that, as a licensed FA owner I would be reluctant to hand in a FA with expired license on someone else's name. Basically you put on record with SAPS that you, as a responsible and law abiding licensed FA owner, was in fact in possession of an unlicensed "illegal" FA as well.

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

An answer to this would be helpful. In this way I would gladly license my parents unwanted and with expired white license firearms to my name and all is sorted. Nothing is lost to the family and SAPS have licensed firearms on record without doing it twice. As soon as their re-applications are approved I am in any case going to license to my name.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast