User

Default Looking for a farm to do rabbit hunting or pest control

Good evening,

I and a good friend are looking for an establishment close to Alberton, e.g. +-30 minutes on which to go hunt some pests or even better, rabbits. Would be using a PCP and a .22LR. That is unless you have bigger pests, which would be even better. Equipped with IR vision, so it would be done at night. Is there anyone on here who would be able to help with this?

- Wouter

Default Re: Looking for a farm to do rabbit hunting or pest control

Hey Wouter,

I'm in the same boat.

Myself and a few buddies are looking for the same thing and at this point have not been successful.

Please let me know if you happen to come right with this.

Thanks

User

This seems to be an occurring theme. People offering their 'service' to 'help' with pest control. Why not just ask if there is someone willing to let you pop rabbits or whatever on their farms for a small fee?

To be honest I don't mind having to pay a fee.

And I'm sure that I'm not the only one out there.

User

Unless the farmer knows you well, he wont let any random people loose on his farm with firearms. Its more liability to him. How does he know that Frikkie and Piet are not idiots and going to pop something on accident, like his game or a farm worker. If you are willing to pay, then he will either guide you himself or tell one of the workers to guide you and everyone wins.
    If he has an actual pest issue, he will either take care of it himself with his own staff, his own buddies, or pay people to do it.

User

Quote Originally Posted by zguy View Post
    Unless the farmer knows you well, he wont let any random people loose on his farm with firearms. Its more liability to him. How does he know that Frikkie and Piet are not idiots and going to pop something on accident, like his game or a farm worker. If you are willing to pay, then he will either guide you himself or tell one of the workers to guide you and everyone wins.
    If he has an actual pest issue, he will either take care of it himself with his own staff, his own buddies, or pay people to do it.
    This
    To many cowboys. Farmers have paid their school fees too many times doing someone a favor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Yes, and the few people who has contacts doesn't give them out, because they're worried about messing up their own chances. I fully understand.

User

To be fair, I have been invited to a jackals hunt on a farm where a friend works as a foreman. They have issues with jackals taking sheep and calves. So every odd week or so, they pop a few of them as per their strategy. I have never hunted before, nor do I own a rifle. But I know I better be on my best behavior and listen to the foreman and his guys and do as they say.

This came about as we were speaking one day and he heard I have never hunted. So he is graciously giving me an opportunity. I know at least that I am in good hands, and I will make sure I listen to what is said to me.