Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: AR STOCK

User

Default AR STOCK

I noticed this unusual stock in AK-Gunner's photo, and was wondering what the pro's and cons of this stock are vs your standard kind of AR stock, and what do you call them?

Default Re: AR STOCK

Can not comment on pro's or con's, but if i remember correctly its a PDW stock.

User

For sport shooting, to me it has zero benefit.
    CQB type usage is a different story.

User

Yeah, PDW stock. AFAIK Troy was the first to design something like this for AR's and the also manufactured a version for NEA, which some of those guns came into the country way back when.

Only real advantage is it reduces firearm Overall Length when collapsed as it uses a shorter buffer tube. I think there is also a model made by Battle Arms or something like that. Also the Troy appears to have a shorter buffer tube, but I know it also uses a proprietary BCG, Buffer and Spring.

When I was building my 300blk I looked hard into the Troy and eventually decided against it, as your cheek weld is literally like using one of those AK Underfolder Wire Stocks, or MP5 collapsible stock... it's usable but not ideal. IMO it has it's place on really short guns i.e. PDW as the name suggests.

User

OK, thanks for the info, guys.

I presume that this makes for a pretty expensive shortening accessory, if you need to shorten the buffer tube, BCG, etc.

I see Maxim Defense make a range of products, but something like this is probably going to cost a kidney:

User

That’s the one I was thinking about. The Maxim Defense.

Yeah, last I checked a couple years ago the Troy was around 6k for the stock and all the associates kit.

Add to which we know how to make the AR reliable with a standard buffer tube. This may or may not work as reliably in your particular gun.

Some would say. Tacticool over Practical.

User

I'm looking at ways to get a SBR as short as possible without going below 12" barrel, so that it can fit in a specific daypack - for transport by motorcycle.

So, practical is what I'm thinking, and less concerned about the looks.

Something like the law Tactical folding stock adaptor makes for less stowed length, but must be deployed before proper firing can commence, which involves removing the FA from the bag, so it's a bit more cumbersome, in that respect.

Curious only . Hence my question.

You wanting it to fit in bag to transport on Motorcycle to go use at range.

Or to have in bag while commuting on motorcycle for protection.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast