Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Practical explanation of Hold Over

The first thing when learning to use your holdover reticle is to pick a magnification, and stick to it for a while.

The at-target distance between the reticle marks changes at a given range, when you change magnification.

Using the given reticle chart, take a highlighter and highlight the column which is the magnification you intend to start learning with. You will just use that magnification while you start learning how to use the reticle.

The next thing is to create yourself a bullet drop chart. For this case, make sure the units are MIL [ because your reticle chart is in millimeters ], not MOA when you create the drop chart. Copy paste that drop chart into excel , so the columns are editable.

I like to add an empty column next to the calculated drop column, where I record the actual drop compared to the calculated drop. This becomes very useful when you later move to using an app for the drop calculation, you have actual numbers to get the actual BC.

Take the reticle chart, and in the column you highlighted, mark all the numbers at two decimal places. Where it says 44, mark it as .44 , 100, mark it as 1.00 . This will correspond the reticle to your calculated trajectory.

With your drop chart in MIL, you can read the number on the reticle chart, find the corresponding MIL drop in your drop chart, and read off the calculated distance.

That way you will know what range corresponds to each holdover point, at a particular magnification.

The difficulty with using holdover is the variable magnification. When you are at the bench, it is easy, you have a lot of time to calculate, but in a hunting situation, it is challenging to remember all the possible numbers.

User

Thanks guys. It's starting to make sense.
    So, zeroed at 100m, using 10x magnification, the first hold over point will have me aim 28mm higher, ie 1moa, the second, 63mm or 2moa, the third 4moa etc.
    So, let's say I'm 180 meter out and i know bullet drop is about 100mm, then hold over point 3 will push me up 114mm, so that would be my aim point?

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by DeVilliers View Post
    If you have it, would you mind posting a pic?

Lynx holdover, 178gr ELD-X at 2450fps, 100m

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

User

Thanks

User

Some feedback.
    Thanks for all the feedback on this thread, and DS Jaap also offering phone assistance.

Went to the range today. 200 and 300m.
    Once I figured out the bullet drop, and setting to 10x magnification I was able to use the table and get the holdover point.

Besides my crap shooting, the rest made sense.

Thanks again.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2