Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Breaking In A Howa Barrel

I've heard differing opinions. Some say you don't need to others say that you do.

Does it differ from manufacturer to manufacturer? Howa recommends that you should.

The rifle I'm talking about is a Howa standard 22" barrel.

Does anyone know if RAM's Nitro-solvent contains ammonia? As they say to clean the barrel with a bore cleaner that has ammonia in it.

Here is their blurb:

HOWA RIFLE RECOMMENDED BREAK-IN PROCEDURE
    Please do not sight-in and or group the rifle during the break-in procedure.

For the first ten shots we recommend using copper jacketed factory ammo. Clean the oil and powder residue out of the barrel before each shot using a commercial bore cleaner with an ammonia content. After firing each cartridge, use a good bore cleaner (one with ammonia) to remove fouling from the barrel using only a soaked patch. We do not recommend anything with an abrasive in it since you are trying to seal the barrel, not keep it agitated.

For the first ten rounds, clean and let the barrel cool between each round fired using a patch and rod only.
    Following the initial ten shots, you then may shoot 2 rounds, cleaning between each pair of shots. This is simp
    ly insuring that the burnishing process has been completed. In theory, you are closing the pores of the barrel metal that have been opened and exposed due to the manufacturing process.

To keep the temperature cool in the barrel, wait at least 5 minutes between break-in shots. The barrel must remain cool during the break-in procedure. If the barrel is allowed to heat up during the break-in, it will impede the steel’s ability to develop a home registration point, or memory. It will have a tendency to make the barrel “walk” or “climb” when it heats up in the future. If you take a little time in the beginning and do it right, you will be much more pleased with the performance of your barrel in the future.

User

Default Re: Breaking In A Howa Barrel

I used Forrest Bore, when breaking in my Howa barrel, worked well for me.

Banned

Has been discussed a lot. Even if the barrel did not get better in accuracy, it really became very oblivious to fouling and still is very easy to clean. That is a great benefit.

Banned

If you feel the need to use ammonia, run an ammonia wet cloth up down barrel, household ammonia WILL NOT damage your barrel. If you wish to feel safe when removing the ammonia, do the usual cleaning and then do a proper wet wash with Benzene.
    I have often used ammonia when battling or unsure of a barrel. (I sometimes wonder if household ammonia actually does anything).
    I have never been able to tell if shooting a barrel in improves accuracy, because it’s hard to tell when you do not have a load developed for that rifle, and developing a load while shooting in the barrel is somewhat ??? (I have never bought a rifles ammunition ever, never - not even one box ever)

I do believe a new barrel if shot in does behave better than one that has not been trained, a bit like a kid that got blikksemed and one that did not - yes!!! Like a boy that went to army and one that did not.

Man, all the things a gun shop doesn't tell you when you buy your first rifle...

I assume that it is not needed to break in the barrel of a pistol, a Glock in this case?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SoldierMan View Post
    Man, all the things a gun shop doesn't tell you when you buy your first rifle...

I assume that it is not needed to break in the barrel of a pistol, a Glock in this case?

I do not believe you really missing anything, about the same as putting the ice in before the tot or the tot then the ice, the first causes the ice to melt the second results in the ice melting.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post

I do not believe you really missing anything, about the same as putting the ice in before the tot or the tot then the ice, the first causes the ice to melt the second results in the ice melting.
    Regarding Glock
    You see the rifle uses 7 shots for 22 barrel = 1 shot for each 3 inch's
    The Glock has a 3 inch barrel = one shot for barrel break in.
    Glock assumes that since you were clever enough to buy a Glock you clever enough to know this.
    Clever people assume since you bought a Glock you clever enough to believe this.

Bolt guns are not my lane but this is what Gale McMillan had to say about break in.

https://www.6mmbr.com/GailMcMbreakin.html

Pistol barrels do not have to be broken in.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

Look at this.

Haha interesting, thanks guys.

Think I will do about 5 break-in shots anyway just to be on the safe side

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast