Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Breaking In A Howa Barrel

This topic is just another one of those topics where people focus on one thing yet they can’t see the full picture.

A competition barrel is finished before selling by professional lappers, that thing needs nothing done to it, and you can’t use it to compare it with the stuff we get on hunting rifles.
    A more expensive but commercial barrel is made using the cold hammer forged method, finishing is very good, nothing needs done with it in general.
    The el-cheapo Howa is made by the cheapest method, using the button method.

FFS just buy a cheap packet of ammo, pmp brown box will do, shoot one shot clean, shoot 2 shots clean, shoot 3 …….
    20 rounds total, won’t cost you nothing or hurt your barrel life in any way, simple as that.
    But I promise you having broken in 5 Howa barrels you see the cleaning process change over that 20 rounds, so you know the barrel is changing physically in that process and it ain’t just copper plating that I guarantee you.

I fully agree that the effort required to push the cleaning rod through the barrel changes during the barrel break in process. About halfway through the break in process, very little effort is required to clean and the rod slides smoothly through the barrel.

I did a Howa barrel break in this past weekend and the above experience was the same with all the others I did previously in the past.

For interest sake, el cheapo Howa barrels are indeed cold hammer forged. It is well documented on the web.

The lower end Savages have barrels created by the butten method.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    This topic is just another one of those topics where people focus on one thing yet they can’t see the full picture.

A competition barrel is finished before selling by professional lappers, that thing needs nothing done to it, and you can’t use it to compare it with the stuff we get on hunting rifles.
    A more expensive but commercial barrel is made using the cold hammer forged method, finishing is very good, nothing needs done with it in general.
    The el-cheapo Howa is made by the cheapest method, using the button method.

FFS just buy a cheap packet of ammo, pmp brown box will do, shoot one shot clean, shoot 2 shots clean, shoot 3 …….
    20 rounds total, won’t cost you nothing or hurt your barrel life in any way, simple as that.
    But I promise you having broken in 5 Howa barrels you see the cleaning process change over that 20 rounds, so you know the barrel is changing physically in that process and it ain’t just copper plating that I guarantee you.
    Ah the differing opinions! But ok will do it then.

Do I also need to take the 5 minute recommended waiting period between shots to let the barrel cool?

el-cheapo Howa hey! Tsek!

From the mouth of one of the best barrel makers in the world.
    No need to break in barrel and never over clean it as it causes more issues.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SoldierMan View Post
    Haha interesting, thanks guys.

Think I will do about 5 break-in shots anyway just to be on the safe side
    Breaking a barrel in just feels right, just seems right, I mean how can there not be some ritual to a new rifle ?

Load up all those odd bullet weights and which odds you have and use them for the purpose, or ask a mate for his tails and mix bin bullets.

I take a boresnake along which I pull through before a shooting session. And when finished. Then at home I use Forest bore foam. And thats it.

When I store my rifles I put a normal dot sticker on the crown. This keeps dust and stuff out. I also put this on when hunting. As when you fire shot the dot will be pushed off long before the bullet exits. After shot I put one back on.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SoldierMan View Post
    Ah the differing opinions! But ok will do it then.

Do I also need to take the 5 minute recommended waiting period between shots to let the barrel cool?

el-cheapo Howa hey! Tsek!
    This is a part that I feel is important, hence my earlier comment about boys upbringing. I feel that this "educating" - "training" of the barrel is the important part of how the barrel grows up so to speak.
    I do not believe you will see accuracy improvements because of breaking in, but do believe the rifle will become some what more accurate with time.
    The cleaning and fouling are both positively affected and seem to make cleaning easier and less often possible, but this also occurs naturally with time and cleaning.
    The introduction of heat and stress to the barrel method is what I feel is the most crucial part of breaking a barrel in, the rest will happen with time any way.

So what they don't actually tell you is that you do not break the barrel in you break the throat in.

There are machining artifacts left from the chamber reamer that present in the leade and the lands. There are ignored by commerical manufacturers who know full well that these will be shot out in due course. So where a machinist would debur a newly machined part to get that real sharp edge broken, barrel break in burns it away.

I challenge any manufacturer, to take two rifles, one "broken in" and the other simply with 20 rounds down the spout and to pick out which got what treatment. If they can do that then I will convert.
    One too many wasted sunsets and one too many for the road .........

Hi

I have broken in 2 Howa barrels that both shoot well (.308 and 6.5Grendel) using a special high-tech formula:
    1. push ammo into magazine
    2. close bolt
    3. aim rifle at target
    4. squeeze trigger
    5. repeat
    6. clean it with decent push rod, properly fitted patch and good copper remover when you get home.

Honestly, clean the factory residue out of the barrel before you shoot it, then just shoot the damn thing! Sure, the barrel will change, it might foul more easily at first, might get easier to clean after first 10, 20, 50 shots or what ever and might get more accurate after the first shots. Just use a good copper fouling remover at first.

There are so many 'only ways' to break in a barrel, so many strong opinions on what special voodoo is needed to not 'ruin' the barrel by shooting it. That alone would lead you to believe there is a lot of conjecture and superstition. Shoot one then clean, no shoot three then clean,no shoot 2 then clean, do this thee times, no 6 times, best under a full moon after you kissed a virgin, and spun the rifle counter clockwise etc. Competitive shooters also use very different approaches. Some clean religiously after X amount of shots, some only clean when accuracy declines, and so on...

Banned

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast