Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Breaking In A Howa Barrel

A lot of people seem to get very confused by the barrel break-in procedure and by the results they expect from it.

The first thing to know about barrel break-in is that you do not need to fire extra shots to do it. Extra shots = extra cost and more barrel wear.

What you can do is to properly clean all the copper fouling out of the barrel between normal shots at regular and very short intervals on a new barrel. This is intended to smooth down any burrs and other rough spots that may have remained from the manufacturing process. The rough spots are worn down by the bullets and hot burning powder gasses. All you need to do is to remove any copper that may have accumulated on top of these rough spots in order to expose them and allow them to wear down a bit.

No, this will not make a barrel more accurate. What it will do is to allow more shots before the copper fouling starts to affect the accuracy negatively.

So, when you have acquired a new (or bargain priced, poorly cleaned used) rifle, while you are zeroing the scope and developing loads or testing factory ammo, just clean all the copper out between shots at the recommended intervals. If not finished before the first hunt, just resume once back home again. When the patches show that you are not accumulating copper in the barrel anymore, you are done. On some barrels that happens very fast, others take a while.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by driepootx View Post
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX good video, but no mention of heat and its affect.
    I wonder why? it will take a lot of convincing to persuade me that the introduction of heat in a uncontrolled manner has affects on the future of that barrel. When working metal to what ever desired end product, you heat and cool in specific ways. Knifes, punch's tools or case hardening all depend on the metals education.

Is that a rocket launcher in the safe in the background?

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    This topic is just another one of those topics where people focus on one thing yet they can’t see the full picture.

A competition barrel is finished before selling by professional lappers, that thing needs nothing done to it, and you can’t use it to compare it with the stuff we get on hunting rifles.
    A more expensive but commercial barrel is made using the cold hammer forged method, finishing is very good, nothing needs done with it in general.
    The el-cheapo Howa is made by the cheapest method, using the button method.

FFS just buy a cheap packet of ammo, pmp brown box will do, shoot one shot clean, shoot 2 shots clean, shoot 3 …….
    20 rounds total, won’t cost you nothing or hurt your barrel life in any way, simple as that.
    But I promise you having broken in 5 Howa barrels you see the cleaning process change over that 20 rounds, so you know the barrel is changing physically in that process and it ain’t just copper plating that I guarantee you.
    As far as I know Howa also hammer forge there barrels, button rifling and cut rifling is mostly used by custom barrel manufacturers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by Hein Kok View Post
    As far as I know Howa also hammer forge there barrels, button rifling and cut rifling is mostly used by custom barrel manufacturers.

Hein I can post you several articles which includes Howa’s history which states they use the button method.

The button method is just about the cheapest, cold hammer forged is slow and expensive, that is why I believe the sources. Also since they make barrels for others(even Sako) at some stage I don’t know whether they use multiple methods.

But, since it’s the errorweb I mailed Howa themselves to get the correct info, if they do respond I will post their answer here.

Banned

Search Results

Featured snippet from the web

[URL="https://www.google.com/search?q=how+hard+are+rifle+barrels&safe=active&cl ient=firefox-b-d&sxsrf=ALeKk00ujNfQJCQ2_Evj9faprkEV0B_HgQ:1596960 236586&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=vGY7_vFps3HEg M%252Co5sys5lYdhB_YM%252C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kQrvkqrQpTn7mdZrYznSpq5IVsP0Q&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiH0f y81I3rAhXGesAKHaTgDUUQ9QEwAHoECAkQAw#imgrc=vGY7_vF ps3HEgM"]

The steel should have a hardness of 25 to 32 on the Rockwell scale so that the steel is strong enough to contain the pressure necessary to propel the round through the barrel, but not so brittle that it will be harmed by the machining operations to be performed.

Banned

Ask the question on Google and the answer is that the button method is used to manufacture Howa barrels.

User

Ask the question on Google and the answer is that the button method is used to manufacture Howa barrels.
    And given widely-know excellent accuracy of Howa rifles, this should not be taken as an indication that the button rifling method yields inferior results ;-)

https://www.rifleshootermag.com/edit...unsmith1/83442

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast