Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: Breaking In A Howa Barrel

Howa - they speak with forked tongue !!!!!!!!!

User

Quote Originally Posted by driepootx View Post
    Ask the question on Google and the answer is that the button method is used to manufacture Howa barrels.
    Just for the interest of the forum users, as promised I did mail Howa themselves and got a reply from sensei Kaori Morai from Howa.

He let me know they use the cold hammer forged method.
    I find this both surprising on the one hand because of the cost, but also logical since they have manufactured for other more expensive brands as well, which only advertises as cold hammer forged, and using dual methods would not be economically viable.

So there you guys have it, straight from the oriental origin, now I don’t feel so bad about all my el-cheapo Howa’s, might just go buy another soon........

Banned

We now have Messor's message, but Google gave the statement below.

Search Results

Featured snippet from the web

Each Howa 1500 barrel is built using the button rifling manufacturing process. This stands in contrast to the cold hammer forged barrels from higher end rifles such as Sako, but it helps to keep the overall cost of producing the rifle down, which lowers the cost of the MSRP as well.

Banned

Also one of the Google choices showing the Howa website and the caption shown below. A bit of Japinglish.

Our Howa Model 1500 sporting rifle has continually led the pack in terms of ... Cold hammer forging machine enables to manufacture high quality barrels stably.

Thank you Messor.

Google not always factual.

However, my Howa whatever method used for the barrel works beyond expectation.

So now for the question; do they hammer forge the chamber at the same time or do they ream it? 😎

Banned

Messor got the true answer.

However, as you are all saying, why worry, it shoots good !!!!!!

User

So hopefully soon I'll be putting first shots through my Howa 223 (if someone can just get the card printed and to my local station...)
    I read through this thread again, some of it makes sense, some I still don't get:

The talk is about removing copper during the first shots. But getting a copper remover to work takes a while. So it's not "shoot one, clean, shoot one, clean" but rather "shoot one, put copper remover, wait many minutes, clean, repeat"?

Are we REALLY talking about cleaning out copper during this process? How much copper is really going to deposit in a single shot? My 308s go very many shots before copper is evident, and then it's at the muzzle end where the speeds are highest, not at the chamber end.

I DO to a degree get the view that the break-in process helps with smoothing out / removing any residual burrs that may remain after the chambering process (assuming that this is not done in the factory, which would be somewhat surprising given that all other machined parts are nicely deburred and finished...) Lets just for a moment accept that those burrs remain in the throat area and and that the break-in process helps to smooth them out, than we're not talking about cleaning with a copper remover, just a standard bore cleaner, yes?

So please help me out gents. When you guys that think about things critically do a "break in" of a Howa barrel, what do you use to clean it with?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    So hopefully soon I'll be putting first shots through my Howa 223 (if someone can just get the card printed and to my local station...)
    I read through this thread again, some of it makes sense, some I still don't get:

The talk is about removing copper during the first shots. But getting a copper remover to work takes a while. So it's not "shoot one, clean, shoot one, clean" but rather "shoot one, put copper remover, wait many minutes, clean, repeat"?

Are we REALLY talking about cleaning out copper during this process? How much copper is really going to deposit in a single shot? My 308s go very many shots before copper is evident, and then it's at the muzzle end where the speeds are highest, not at the chamber end.

I DO to a degree get the view that the break-in process helps with smoothing out / removing any residual burrs that may remain after the chambering process (assuming that this is not done in the factory, which would be somewhat surprising given that all other machined parts are nicely deburred and finished...) Lets just for a moment accept that those burrs remain in the throat area and and that the break-in process helps to smooth them out, than we're not talking about cleaning with a copper remover, just a standard bore cleaner, yes?

So please help me out gents. When you guys that think about things critically do a "break in" of a Howa barrel, what do you use to clean it with?
    I made and used my own mixture specifically designed to remove combustion and copper residues in the barrel.
    The swabs came out with a definite blue colour, showing the presence of copper. This faded away as I shot away the break-in process.

User

I broke in the barrels of a 6.5 Creedmoor and a 6.5x55, both Howas, using Howa's break in method. During the first few shots a surprising amount of copper came out of the barrel after each shot. After the first few shots, cleaning out the copper became much quicker. I used Boretech's carbon and copper removers.

It is a time consuming process.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast