Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: Breaking In A Howa Barrel

Quote Originally Posted by SoldierMan View Post
    That is great news! I think it was on this site that I got the 1000 round number, curious. Now I can shoot to my hearts content without worrying about round count.
    If you got that number on the site it would have been a lively thread after that number came up.
    Go shoot 20 rounds with a bolt action, then another 20, you then have shot 8 x as much as the average biltong hunter shoots a year after the new ownership wears off.
    40 rounds in a day is a lot of shooting in a bolt rifle format. 8 magazines, most folk start getting "enoughish" at 3/4 mags shot out.

All these years later when I go do some practice its usually about 3 mags, 12 - 18 shots, if I go on a shooting week end like this week end, the 3 mags may happen 2 or 3 times in a day for some calibers, keeping in mind that a shooting week end would involve 6 - 8 calibers.

Exactly what I did this week end.

shoot by David Frank Allen, on Flickr

Once again I found I do not shoot as well as I think I did.

Cody started to hit a 8 inch gong yesterday with the 22 pistol, 100 m. He hits it 1/2 times a 10 shot mag, shot out about 300 x .22 rounds this week end.

mmmnnnn ! I have yet to hit it once, can not focus front site and back site + target, eyes are just to old, but at least i do not have the cancer.

I must admit I am one of those biltong hunters who hardly shoots his rifle :) But now that I know I can use it for target shooting as well and not worry about shooting out the barrel. But first I have to replace my busted scope with something decent but I am looking for a decent one so will have to save up as have spent on other stuff like a G17. That's my excuse and i'm sticking to it......

User

I don’t see what the problem with barrel break in is, I have heard every story in the book why people won’t do it, but hell 20 shots is nothing.
    And even more weird, some people just cannot understand it’s an opportunity to do two things at once, they ARE going to do one thing regardless of barrel break in.
    That one thing is load development, sure some folk will just go to the range and shoot because they itch to shoot their new rifle, but that is also just range fodder with no benefit.

So if you are a smart reloader, you are going to chrony a few rounds in any case, load them carefully with sensible increments and not only will you walk away from that one range session knowing you’ve done the recommended barrel break in, but you also have real world data on how your rifle shoots with your intended bullet combo.

In short, you are not losing anything with barrel break in, but only if you act smart and think logically about it.

User

Thousands? Any idea what the average life span of a standard barrel 22' Howa 308 is? I was told to expect 1000 rounds and then retire.
    Yes 22-250s and a 30-06 every so often. Replace every few years. But these are different applications to normal hunting. Your 308 barrel should outlast you under normal hunting and practice.

That is great news! I think it was on this site that I got the 1000 round number, curious. Now I can shoot to my hearts content without worrying about round count.
    .308 will give you WAY more than 1000 rounds of accurate barrel life!

User

Quote Originally Posted by SBB View Post
    Yes 22-250s and a 30-06 every so often. Replace every few years. But these are different applications to normal hunting. Your 308 barrel should outlast you under normal hunting and practice.
    You can not even mention 22-250 and 30-06 in the same sentence when discussing barrel life. The old 30-06 may be very slightly harder on a barrel than a 308, but the difference is small.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    e. The old 30-06 may be very slightly harder on a barrel than a 308, but the difference is small.
    I would have thought the 30 06 and .270 would have been pretty much the same, not really long life.
    .308 = 4 ever, well almost.

User

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    I would have thought the 30 06 and .270 would have been pretty much the same, not really long life.
    .308 = 4 ever, well almost.
    No no, most 30-06 rifles used for hunting will also outlive most of their owners, the simple truth is its more overbore than a 308, but most 30-06 shooters use loads around the 50k psi mark.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Messor;1413801 the simple truth [B
    is its more overbore than a 308[/B], but most 30-06 shooters use loads around the 50k psi mark.
    Interesting indeed, I would have argued this with conviction. Strange how something you just always new can be so totally wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    No no, most 30-06 rifles used for hunting will also outlive most of their owners, the simple truth is its more overbore than a 308, but most 30-06 shooters use loads around the 50k psi mark.
    Messor is spot on. It's what makes the 30-06 so versatile. The light loads are far easier on the shoulder.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast