Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    User

Default Re: What Competition/Sport Shooting Hangun Do You Use?

I'm a strong believer that your second handgun should be a training aid and backup for your defensive handgun if you have one. Something that you can compete with and do okay with is a bonus, but I want to be able to carry it should I need to and trust it. For me a G17 is ideal, used in IDPA and IPSC, I split defensive training between that and my normal EDC gun and I carry it on occasion.

I shoot better with my Shadow currently, and have an IPSC rig for it, but there is a little less carryover to my defensive setups

Quote Originally Posted by Samizat45 View Post
    They are the exception rather than the rule. They should be admired more for their skill, mental fortitude and commitment that their choice of weapon at that level.
    Grant9 knows this ;)

User

Choose your gun,then run whatever you brung
    because it ain't the gun,it's the man.

User

I edc a G26, used to use my 17 in Ipsc Prod but later switched to Shadow 1. Strangely enough the more I shoot with the Shadow the better I do with the 26, 17 and all the others I have.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Vaal View Post
    I edc a G26, used to use my 17 in Ipsc Prod but later switched to Shadow 1. Strangely enough the more I shoot with the Shadow the better I do with the 26, 17 and all the others I have.
    This is not in dispute. However, given our onerous licensing environment, the advice given to the OP centers more around having reliable and immediate access to another EDC-able gun, should his primary suddenly be unavailable for whatever reason. And I doubt anyone would disagree that a new sport shooter (in whatever discipline) would be severely handicapped by (for example) a G17 vs a Shadow.

There is a huge difference between ideal for EDC and EDC-able. All you need is EDC-able.

If your primary has been confiscated because of a gunfight, you probably won't struggle to build up the motivation to strap a less-than-deal gun to your waist for a while.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    This is not in dispute. However, given our onerous licensing environment, the advice given to the OP centers more around having reliable and immediate access to another EDC-able gun, should his primary suddenly be unavailable for whatever reason. And I doubt anyone would disagree that a new sport shooter (in whatever discipline) would be severely handicapped by (for example) a G17 vs a Shadow.
    I would not say "severely handicapped". I know a couple of guys who cannot hit a barn door while standing in the barn, because their basics are non existent. What catches several shooters are the transition between DA to SA on a Shadow. And that is not present with a Glock. Every gun has got its own peculiarities.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg View Post
    Choose your gun,then run whatever you brung
    because it ain't the gun,it's the man.
    Lots of truth in there.

One should also decide what the primary purpose of your sport shooting is. If you are shooting purely to advance in the sport and aim to become a world champ soon, then of course get the most suitable sports gun(s) you can. If you are primarily shooting to get some trigger time on your EDC gun and get better with it, well then obviously your EDC gun or something very similar would be the best choice.

User

That is true to some degree imo. I shoot some guns better than I do others. For example, I shot my G17 better than I did my G19 but I shoot my S&W better than I did both of them. Then there is caliber. My G29 was really accurate but I couldn't shoot it as fast, same with the H&K USPC I carry. Depends on the gun and the guy imo.

With enough practice, you can shoot anything well but some guns shoot easier compared to others. They may not all be ideally suitable for carry so it depends on what you want to do. A gun that I also enjoyed shooting very much that I think I'll like is the P10C, that will conceal well too. If I had to buy EDC/comp combo right now, it'll be between the P10C & S&W M&P. I'm leaning towards the M&P though, just personal preference.

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk

G19 EDC, Shadow Orange on the range

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    Lots of truth in there.

One should also decide what the primary purpose of your sport shooting is. If you are shooting purely to advance in the sport and aim to become a world champ soon, then of course get the most suitable sports gun(s) you can. If you are primarily shooting to get some trigger time on your EDC gun and get better with it, well then obviously your EDC gun or something very similar would be the best choice.
    Between the two of them, those two groups don't add up to any sort of significant numbers. The top guys shoot a lot, but they only account for, let's say, 1% of the shooters. The "trigger time on your EDC gun" guys account for the majority of new entrants, but not a lot of the "trigger time" and even less of the "get better." I spend time with every new member at our shooting club and I don't see the fear of dying a violent death driving a lot of them into becoming regulars.

The bulk of the competitors at a monthly club shoot, the bulk of the rounds fired in practice and the bulk of the getting better is done by people who like guns, and like shooting. Both aspects. Period. They spend money on equipment because they like shooting, and they spend money on shooting because they like using the equipment. A positive spiral, if you wish.

And here's the point of my post: Not only the top guys are competitive. Most guys that actually make it to the range on club days are competive within their peer group, even if they won't admit it. You just don't see it because you're only watching the top guys, but it is there. And it is what eventually drives them to become the top guys.

So whether you splash out on a "race gun" only depends on what kick it will give you. Not where you currently find yourself in the standings.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast