Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Best semi auto 308 rifles

Hi there

Looking at purchasing a 308 semi auto rifle, thought I’d ask what does everybody recommend?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Default Re: Best semi auto 308 rifles

Try stating your primary usage and budget as starters...

User

I have the Remington R25 which is basically a dpms . I have run it for the past 3 years and have found it accurate and reliable. It eats up any ammo that I feed it and I have not had any stoppages at all. I can ring gongs out to 550m with ease. I doubt the remington would be available anymore but the DPMS gen 11 is still available . I upgraded the trigger to a nice match trigger . Most of the lower parts are std AR part compatible.

Just my experience.

FN FAL, H&K G3

User

User

AR platform is probable the "right" way to go, but there is just a love affair between the FAL and us SA Boytjies :)

So for me it will be the FN FAL first, no matter if it is less accurate or less accessorisable than the AR

User

So here's a bit of an interesting observation - AKs are overbuilt. Shocker right? The milled and 1.5mm receiver rifles are considered heavy when built in 5.56. This includes the R4 & 5.

BUT, ignoring the magazine, you only need to change the bolt, barrel and (probably) bullet feed ramp to shoot 7.62 NATO. No other changes required. Then you have a .308 that compares favorably in terms of weight. I do think the SAIGA slightly lengthened their receiver for the magazine well, where the Yugo and Galil kept the same receiver and extended the magazine well to the rear.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by VNI View Post
    So here's a bit of an interesting observation - AKs are overbuilt. Shocker right? The milled and 1.5mm receiver rifles are considered heavy when built in 5.56. This includes the R4 & 5.

BUT, ignoring the magazine, you only need to change the bolt, barrel and (probably) bullet feed ramp to shoot 7.62 NATO. No other changes required. Then you have a .308 that compares favorably in terms of weight. I do think the SAIGA slightly lengthened their receiver for the magazine well, where the Yugo and Galil kept the same receiver and extended the magazine well to the rear.
    This is interesting . Can you add a link for further info?

User

Quote Originally Posted by PWdejager View Post
    AR platform is probable the "right" way to go, but there is just a love affair between the FAL and us SA Boytjies :)

So for me it will be the FN FAL first, no matter if it is less accurate or less accessorisable than the AR
    ^^^^ This

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    This is interesting . Can you add a link for further info?
    I don't have a single link to a specific source as I jotted this down in my personal notes over an extended period of time, but I can give the abridged confirmation as to how - if you look at the original Galil AR in .308, you'll see the trigger guard is slightly smaller. The overall length between both receivers are the same, but most importantly, the bolt length between the .223 and .308 versions are exactly the same. With a SAIGA, the bolt is longer, i.e. the chamber is further away from the hammer. So with one they extended the magazine well to the front, the other to the rear.

I have to retract my statement on the Yugo - I only realized after checking my notes that it is in 8mm Mauser. With the trigger guard I think that was also extended forward. Not sure why I noted it as extending rearwards.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast